🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Weekly billing
Page options
9e7a8bd2
Community Member

Weekly billing

My clients gave me 40 hours weekly. This week I worked over 53 hours. What do I need to do? Should I let him know or Upwork will?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My clients gave me 40 hours weekly. This week I worked over 53 hours. What do I need to do? Should I let him know or Upwork will?"

Your client did not "give you 40 hours weekly."

The default maximum number of hours per week is set to 40.

Your client did not change this value.

Maybe the client WANTS the maximum to be 40.

Maybe the cilent does not care and is happy to have you work more than that. You don't know.

Will Upwork notify the client?

No.

This is between you and the client. Upwork is not involved.

What should YOU do?

You have multiple OPTIONS.

a) You may do nothing. You will be paid for 40 hours this week.

b) You may contact the client and BRIEFLY explain that you have worked 53 hours this week and ask the client to raise the maximum number of ours so that you will get paid. If the maximum number of hours is raised to at least 53, then you will automatically get paid for all of your time. But this must be done by the end of the work week - midnight UTC on Sunday.

c) You may wait until after the end of the week (midnight UTC on Sunday) to do anything, after which you can no longer get paid automatically for the extra time (13 hours), and then you may ask the client to pay you using the cilent-side "Send bonus" tool.

d) You may notify the client that the maximum number of hours you may work has been reached (40 hours) and explain to the client that you can wait until next week (Monday) to continue working on the project, or you can work more hours this week if the client raises the maximum. This is what I recommend you do BEFORE you start working past the maximum-allowed hours per week.

===================================

Question: Is a client required to pay a freelancer for hours worked past the maximum number of hours?

Answer: No.

Question: Is a freelancer violating Upwork ToS if he works past the maximum number of alowed hours?

Question: If a freelancer works past the maximum number of hours and the cilent doesn't pay him for those hours, is the client violating Upwork ToS?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My clients gave me 40 hours weekly. This week I worked over 53 hours. What do I need to do? Should I let him know or Upwork will?"

Your client did not "give you 40 hours weekly."

The default maximum number of hours per week is set to 40.

Your client did not change this value.

Maybe the client WANTS the maximum to be 40.

Maybe the cilent does not care and is happy to have you work more than that. You don't know.

Will Upwork notify the client?

No.

This is between you and the client. Upwork is not involved.

What should YOU do?

You have multiple OPTIONS.

a) You may do nothing. You will be paid for 40 hours this week.

b) You may contact the client and BRIEFLY explain that you have worked 53 hours this week and ask the client to raise the maximum number of ours so that you will get paid. If the maximum number of hours is raised to at least 53, then you will automatically get paid for all of your time. But this must be done by the end of the work week - midnight UTC on Sunday.

c) You may wait until after the end of the week (midnight UTC on Sunday) to do anything, after which you can no longer get paid automatically for the extra time (13 hours), and then you may ask the client to pay you using the cilent-side "Send bonus" tool.

d) You may notify the client that the maximum number of hours you may work has been reached (40 hours) and explain to the client that you can wait until next week (Monday) to continue working on the project, or you can work more hours this week if the client raises the maximum. This is what I recommend you do BEFORE you start working past the maximum-allowed hours per week.

===================================

Question: Is a client required to pay a freelancer for hours worked past the maximum number of hours?

Question: Is a freelancer violating Upwork ToS if he works past the maximum number of alowed hours?

Question: If a freelancer works past the maximum number of hours and the cilent doesn't pay him for those hours, is the client violating Upwork ToS?

Thanks!

petra_r
Community Member

Josaphat K wrote:

My clients gave me 40 hours weekly. This week I worked over 53 hour

Why?

02d3e798
Community Member

Hi Josaphat - I would say its best practice in future to go with suggestion D in Preston's answer. That way you don't do work you are possibly not going to get paid for, and the client will appreciate the communication. 

A lot of clients I have noticed come on here and maybe use Upwork a couple of times a year at most so they may not find it simple to (or want to) change the settings from week to week.

Best wishes Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

I already contacted the client and explained my concern and it's solved.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths