🐈 Community
helloholly_d

Weird Contract Start

A few days ago, I received a Contract offer to start on a project. It seemed like something I've done before and they were asking my going rate so I was like, "Heck yeah!" 
I accepted it, sent a welcome message to initiate conversation and... the next day they canceled the project and never replied my message. 

Has this happened to anyone else? What do you do? 

I had the feedback thing pop up and I haven't left any feedback yet.... will this weird contract effect my score since the job wasn't completed?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It has happened to me twice where a client just sent me an offer without any previous discussion. Both turned out to be great experiences.

My general comment is, you never know what is going to happen.  If working on Upwork has taught me anything, its that client behaviour can be head-shaking.  Don't make yourself go crazy by trying to understand the reasons for anything that a client may do.  They have their reasons.  Perhaps they didn't know that an offer is an offer.  Maybe they overstepped their authority.  Someone else may have already hired another person.  You just never know.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
allergywriter

Isn't one of the feedback options client decided not to go through with project?  I can't remember, but it seems like that is an option.

Did you send them a message to find out if they are temporarily putting this on hold or if it is a permanent hold.

2591126f

Probably some confused client.Confused either with how the upwork works or what they are seeking.

They closed contract,hence already left feedback..Algorithm will ofcourse take those feedback into consideration.So yes you are affected.

You should also leave a feedback....probably the same post you wrote here so that future client can have a look as to what really happened.

You may also return whatever money was charged.I assume it was a negligible amount. However private feedback will still be counted.

lysis10

always demand a conversation before starting a contract

Offer received out of the blue?

That means you will receive a message. Message the client back. Negotiate as for any job.

If you smell even a hint of anything fishy -- and an unsolicited contract offer is already pretty close to the sea -- they get "Thanks but I don't think this is a good fit. Best of luck on your project."

It has happened to me twice where a client just sent me an offer without any previous discussion. Both turned out to be great experiences.

My general comment is, you never know what is going to happen.  If working on Upwork has taught me anything, its that client behaviour can be head-shaking.  Don't make yourself go crazy by trying to understand the reasons for anything that a client may do.  They have their reasons.  Perhaps they didn't know that an offer is an offer.  Maybe they overstepped their authority.  Someone else may have already hired another person.  You just never know.

Thank you everyone so much for your feedback! 

Full disclosure : I thought it was an invite for an interview - not a contract. So I was a bit confused too when it said, "Your contract has started" and that was the "Oh crap whatjusthappened" moment haha 🙂  I didn't even realize someone COULD offer a contract without an interview. Lesson learned. 

So I think what I'm going to do now is see if I can still give feedback and look for that, "client did not follow through with contract" or "unresponsive client" since they haven't responded to any of my messages. 

Thank you again so much for you guys' input! 😄

Learning Paths