cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Issues with Direct to Local Bank Transfer!

Ace Contributor
Md Ashifur R Member Since: Mar 12, 2015
1 of 19

4th October, I made a withdrawal to my bank using Upwork's ''Direct to Local Bank Transfer'' payment system and the withdrawal status is ''still in process'', it means to me the payment is still stuck at Upwork's end! I'm working here on Upwork continuously from last 4 years and most of the time I use ''Direct to Local Bank Transfer'' because I get the money in my currency almost instant and safely. The money always arrive into my bank account within 15-30 mins of withdrawal, so what I understand that the payment system is automated otherwise I wouldn't get the money that much fast. I contacted several times with Upwork Live Chat support and they just keep saying that it takes 3-4 business days to show up the money in my bank account & I should wait 8 days after that they can initiate a trace! Now the question is Upwork clearly stated ''In general, direct to local bank payments take up to four business days to arrive at your bank. ''There is a 12:00pm (noon) UTC cutoff time for same-day processing. After that, transfers will be processed the following business day. Bank holidays in the U.S. or your country can delay your funds.'' and I've been told by one of Upwork's support agent that Upwork complete the processing of Direct to Local Bank Transfer within 1 business day with a 12PM UTC cutoff time for same-day processing. So it would take 2 days most to process the payment from Upwork's end! I explained everything I know to the support agent but they just reply me with some generic terms as I don't know anything about it & everything is going correctly! I just asked them to let the responsible team to know about my issue. I suspect there might be some technical error with my withdrawal as it was the sixth time that happened to me! 

To prove myself yesterday I made another little withdrawal to ''Direct to Local Bank Transfer'', do you know what happened?? I got the money in my bank account within 15 minutes!! Within an hour I got the confirmation email from Upwork ''Dear Md Ashifur,  We have processed your payment request submitted on 07-Oct-2017 through our payment processor, Transfast. Your funds will be delivered by Transfast. Depending on your bank, funds may be available instantly or require additional days, please contact your bank to get the exact deposit date in case of any delay.  If you did not initiate this payment, please contact us immediately.'' 

The payment has been processed by a third party named Transfast. I don't know how it works but I guess when I initiate a withdrawal the system automatically send withdrawal details to Transfast & then the Transfast system automatically deposits the money in my bank account as they're partnered with my bank as an instant depositor. With manual system it is impossible to get the money within 15 minutes! If there's no technical error in Upwork's withdrawal/payment infrastucture then how come I got the money for my second withdrawal within 15mins yesterday??? If Upwork processes Local Bank Transfer within 1-2 business days then why my 4 days ago withdrawal is still in process??? Aren't these points weird enough to escalate the issue to responsible department so they can investigate the issue and detect the error and solve??  Man Sad 

Nobody cares about my concern! I'm just looking for a logical explanation not some FAQ! I hope Upwork's payment infrastructure developers will investigate the matter. 

If other freelancers are facing the similar problems please share your experience.

Thank You!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 19

You were advised correctly by Support. There will be no trace initiated until 8 days have passed, by which time you funds will most likely have long arrived. Upwork can no longer "see" or control the funds once they are in the banking system.

So you can really just wait until your money arrives and not waste your time ccontacting Support because there is nothing they can do. Your funds are not overdue.

IF, in the end (after 8 days), they are stll not in your account, ask again.

Ace Contributor
Md Ashifur R Member Since: Mar 12, 2015
3 of 19
Hi Petra, Did you even read the post?? The processing of payment hasn't passed the Upwork system! For whatever reason the status of the payment is still in process < Upwork support admitted that it seems weird and they will escalate the issue to Finance team. You directly said there's nothing they can do but they said they've already escalated the issue. So either you didn't read my post or misunderstood the issue.
Marcin S Member Since: Oct 12, 2017
4 of 19

Same here Ashifur, I requested 3 payments (first on 9th October) and it hasn't been processed yet. I sent a request to help center and they told me they escalated the issue to the finance team. 

Anyway, something is definitely weird and it doesn't look like it used to be. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 19

Hi Marcin, 

Generally, direct to local bank transfers take around 2 to 5 business days. The Customer Support Team will issue a trace if it still hasn't reflected on your bank account after 8-business days. The team will update your ticket once they get feedback on your issue.

-Avery
Untitled
Marcin S Member Since: Oct 12, 2017
6 of 19

Hi Avery, 

the issue I'm having is the fact that I'm not getting a notification that the payment was processed. 

Take a look at the attachment. I used to get that notification day after I requested payment and the payment itself day after receiving notification. 

Now I'm still waiting for the notification...

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 19

Hi Marcin,

I see our agent already escalated your recent transaction to our Finance team so please keep checking your open ticket for new updates.

Yanko K Member Since: Oct 15, 2017
8 of 19

Marcin, 

I have the same problem. I don't know what's going on.

It is really weird. 

I requested local bank transfer on Wednesday. It's Monday now and still no notification that the payment was processed. It usually happens within 24hrs. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 19

Hi Yanko,

Please, refer to my reply to your post on this thread.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Muhammad R Member Since: Oct 31, 2016
10 of 19

Hello

I am also facing same issue. Some time when I withdraw the payment it reaches in minutes but other time it takes more than one week even once my payment was returned to upwork account and I got the email and that my bank account info is incorrect while I have already transfered anyother payment and got it instantly without changing ay bank info. That is a strange thing. This week my payment has not reached yet, I have also talked with "transfast company" but they said to provide a transaction ID which I have not, then I talked with upwork and upwork say we can do work on this after 8 business days. So I have nothing solved instead of just waiting. And now this issue is continously increasing every week. Some time payment reached in minutes and some time no payments after weeka.

Not sure ho to fix it or where to talk about it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS