🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Weird Job Offer
Page options
1a88bae5
Community Member

Weird Job Offer

Hello, I wanted to ask you all your opinion on a job offer I got. I felt suspicious and wanted fellow freelancers to give theri opinion on what you think. I got an invitation for a proposal from someone wanting website banners. It sounded like I would design one banner and then if liked I would design more. I was contacted back and was asked to interview through Skype chat (not video call). The email provided was a personal email but I didnt think about it at the time. I was told the guy worked for Savers and it seemed legit as Savers is a real company. I went through an hour or so of questions and then was told I would get a decision on if I got the job today. Well the offer was differnt than what I proposed for as it was a long term position at the company as a junior graphic designer. I found it weird becuase I know on Upwork you shouldn't be paid or sign contracts outside Upwork. I kept going with it becuase it was a good opportunity but realized I'd be breaking the rules and I joined to freelance not get a long term job. By this point i was sent the contract to sign to offically sign on as the junior graphic designer but I coudln't shake a bad feeling I had. I was reassured the email would be a professional company email but when I got the email it was unathenticated by gmail. I have googled the client's  name and cannot find it anywhere. I decided to block the email address, skype email, and flag the account on Upwork. Do you all think I was justified thinking it was some sort of scam? It just didn't add up to me and I'm questioning if I should have reported the account.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hayley K wrote:

Hello, I wanted to ask you all your opinion on a job offer I got. I felt suspicious and wanted fellow freelancers to give theri opinion on what you think. I got an invitation for a proposal from someone wanting website banners. It sounded like I would design one banner and then if liked I would design more. I was contacted back and was asked to interview through Skype chat (not video call). The email provided was a personal email but I didnt think about it at the time. I was told the guy worked for Savers and it seemed legit as Savers is a real company. I went through an hour or so of questions and then was told I would get a decision on if I got the job today. Well the offer was differnt than what I proposed for as it was a long term position at the company as a junior graphic designer. I found it weird becuase I know on Upwork you shouldn't be paid or sign contracts outside Upwork. I kept going with it becuase it was a good opportunity but realized I'd be breaking the rules and I joined to freelance not get a long term job. By this point i was sent the contract to sign to offically sign on as the junior graphic designer but I coudln't shake a bad feeling I had. I was reassured the email would be a professional company email but when I got the email it was unathenticated by gmail. I have googled the client's  name and cannot find it anywhere. I decided to block the email address, skype email, and flag the account on Upwork. Do you all think I was justified thinking it was some sort of scam? It just didn't add up to me and I'm questioning if I should have reported the account.

Sorry, didn't read your whole post. Just until skype. 

We hear a lot of these stories, and they all should end at the word skype. Which is when you tell your "client": I'm sorry, I can't skype with you because it's strictly forbidden by upwork terms of service to communicate outside of upwork before hire. Because I don't want to be suspended, and you are a measly scammer trying to steal my money. Now, go away. 

Something like that. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hayley K wrote:

Sorry, didn't read your whole post. Just until skype. 

We hear a lot of these stories, and they all should end at the word skype. Which is when you tell your "client": I'm sorry, I can't skype with you because it's strictly forbidden by upwork terms of service to communicate outside of upwork before hire. Because I don't want to be suspended, and you are a measly scammer trying to steal my money. Now, go away. 

Something like that. 

Thank you! I am very new to upwork and have never worked with clients remotely so this is all new to me. I'm glad I reported the account and blocked the person.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reporting this, Hayley.

I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork

How did you report them? I just got a scam job offer too that was nothing like the job posting and I don't want to get in trouble myself 😞 

I went to the job posting and flagged as inappropriate. But you can report messages on upwork as well.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabienne,

I can see that you've already reported this using the flagging feature. Our team will review your report and take action according to our internal processes. Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
psyreine
Community Member

Thank you so much! I was so excited because I thought it was going to be my first contracted job on Upwork but once I got their request for my resume to be sent via email I thought "ugh, this isn't going to work out is it." I looked and the client has more than one job posting on here but insists on sending outside emails to discuss more about it. Is it best just to ignore the email and withdraw my proposal?

I just blocked every contact and withdrew proposal. I went way too far because it truly seemed legit and I still wonder if it was. I realized way to late into the process that the guy was breaking the rules. I’m glad I now know the rules and can prevent this from happening again. But they have my email, number, etc. I went way to far before listening to my gut saying something wasn’t right.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help and prompt responses. I withdrew the proposal and reported the message that asked for an email outside of Upwork. I don't want to lose my account because of this. 

roberty1y
Community Member

Hayley K said:

I went through an hour or so of questions and then was told I would get a decision on if I got the job today. 

They were just dragging out the interview process to make the job sound more legit. Don't let them waste your time like that again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths