🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Weird situation with a client, what should I ...
Page options
aziz_92
Community Member

Weird situation with a client, what should I do?

I've never had a bad experience with a client before, this seems to be the first time; that's why I am asking here.

I've completed about 66% of the milestones, however, I genuinely underestimated the scope of the project.  (My fault)

Because of this, I am taking longer than aniticipated. I have not asked client for more money, just time.

However, the client seems restless, and wants a full refund of all the previously completed milestones.

So at this point, I don't even know if i should continue working on the remaining milestones. He seems adamant to leave.

I can refund his money, but it's a lot of money and a lot of time spent. If I give him a full refund, then it will still effect my JSS, just that his comment won't appear on my profile.

If I don't give a refund, what are his options? He can cancel the project, without refund, right? or does he have the right to get a refund of the completed milestones? And he ofcourse can leave me with a bad review (worst case scenario). And If he does leave a bad review, I can get the review removed because of the Top Rated perk.

So i guess this point, my queston is, am I mistaken in what i said above? I don't want to make a move without knowning my options. What do you guys think i should do in this sitaution?

4 REPLIES 4
macollinsone
Community Member

giving him ah refund and you submitted work to him; i would never do...i make sure they are satisfied before i send an invoice..i had this client, try to pull that con move, when i was on elance years ago...elance rejected his refund

tta192
Community Member

You have no reason to refund previous milestones, the client approved them so that confirmed you delivered what was expected for those payments. That part is done and closed (usually).

Depending on what's currently in escrow and the time you already spent on the present milestone it seems you have two options: either (a) close the project yourself and forfeit the remaining funds; or (b) finish the work and ask for payment through the platform, whether the client is happy with it or not; most likely you'll be required to do a few corrections, fixes etc. The client may release the funds or you may go to mediation / arbitration.

IMO since the client already mentioned wanting a refund, you should go with option (a).  Again, it depends on the size of the current milestone, not the previous ones.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It seems to me that if you can't meet the client's deadline (which you admit is your fault for underestimating), then you should offer at least a partial refund. How much of a refund depends on how much of your work would be reusable if another freelancer were to take over the project. And if you have your feedback removal perk available, then you don't need to worry about a bad review.

petra_r
Community Member

Aziz U wrote:

If I don't give a refund, what are his options? He can cancel the project, without refund, right? Or does he have the right to get a refund of the completed milestones?

The client can dispute everything paid under the contract (not just the current milestone) while there is money in escrow or up to 30 days after the last invoice date. If it went to arbitration, missing an agreed upon deadline would likely not help your case.

I'd try and come to a mutually acceptable compromise. You said yourself that it was your mistake that led to you underestimating the time it would take.

There are situations, where a missed deadline actually means that a work product becomes completely worthless (value $ 0) to a client. 

Edited to add: Wow, where has your profile gone????

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members