lisawerk

Welcome back

I've taken a break for awhile from Upwork. I found several new clients offsite that have kept me busy, switched my status to unavailable, and shied away from using the site in general. My disappointment with the bugs and the service and lower quality of jobs just wasn't cutting it. I figured instead of complaining, I'd just take a break.

All of a sudden I started getting invites again, so I sign in today to figure out why and I can't access my stats page or my profile. I can't see the invites, can't see whether or not it's reflecting my lack of answer, can't really see much of anything right now. 

So, my questions: support says they're working on the stats/profile page thing, apparently it's a known problem. How long has it been going on? Second, what's the point of setting my status to unavailable if I'm going to get invites and then be penalized for not responding? I don't want to hide my profile just in case someone wants to take a look and keep me in mind when my status changes. Is there a benefit to changing your status when it doesn't prevent people from sending you invites? Again, it wouldn't be a big deal to just ignore them, but I get penalized for that. 

6 REPLIES 6
lysis10

word on the streets is that others are having issues, so that's a good thing. It means your problem won't be sent to a black hole. 🙂

w/b

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lisa,

You may experience problems loading some Upwork pages because of a known issue. The team is currently working to resolve it as soon as possible and you can check this page for updates. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by it and I understand that it's especially frustrating for you to see it on the day you came back from a break.

Setting your profile as unavailable reduces its visibility in search. However, clients can still invite you to apply to their jobs if they saved your profile or have the direct link. Those invites shouldn't count toward your Response Time.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Setting your profile as unavailable reduces its visibility in search. However, clients can still invite you to apply to their jobs if they saved your profile or have the direct link. Those invites shouldn't count toward your Response Time.

This is good to know, but it's not what I was told by support. She said the only way to remove myself from the search was to set my profile to private and that if I don't, it's up to the clients to look at my availability and decide whether or not to send me an invite. 

That's correct, Lisa. If you set your profile as unavailable, it's visibility in search is reduced but it can still be found if searching by your name or by narrowing down the search using filters. If your profile is set to private, it won't show in search even when searching by your name. 

Clients can invite you, but not replying to those invites will not affect your stats.

~ Valeria
Upwork
gerrys

The previous move to lack of transparency has worked so well, they've decided to go another step further: do away with profiles altogether.

Pretty soon there will also be no names; just numbers.

Just been told "my situation is more complex".

How can a situation that was "working", go to being MORE complex now that it is not NOT "working"?

The wheels fall off my car ... Is my car now MORE "complex"?

Maybe there needs to be more "testing".

Perhaps a freelance project manager to the rescue.