cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What Am I Missing in Special Offer Jobs?

nastz
Ace Contributor
Nassoro C Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
1 of 8

Been ignoring Special Offer Jobs since then but I wish to no longer let them go that easily! Though I am not 100% sure why I have been ignoring them but I think my past experience is a monster I need break its neck to death! 

Here's a thing. My first 2 jobs at oDesk/Upwork three years ago were from Unverified Clients. All these jobs were as good as fake... no compensation! Had similar experience in one of the popular freelancing platform couple of years back!

Thanks God, both jobs didn't require much of my time, but since then, I trust no Unverified Client!

Bad experience!

Now back to the subject. Special Offer Jobs! What Am I missing here? Generally speaking, 80% of these Special Offer Jobs are from Unverified Client. Is it their status (unverified) which make them (jobs) special?! What's their chance of being legit? 

Are they worthy my 2 Connects? How do you handle them?! You risk connects and advise the Client to verify their payment methods or what exactly am supposed to handle them?

Thanks in advance guys!!!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Yes, it is the fact that they are brand new clients that makes them "special." Upwork wants new clients to have a positive experience with freelancers who know how to work the Upwork system, so they incentivize Top Rated freelancers to work with new arrivals. Since they've just signed up, many don't have verified payment methods.

I would estimate that about half of my Upwork clients have been brand new when I started working with them, and I've always gotten paid. Just assess other aspects of the job/posting/client carefully and don't ignore red flags. Also, make sure payment method is verified before you actually start work.

View solution in original post

nastz
Ace Contributor
Nassoro C Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
3 of 8

@Tiffany S wrote:

Upwork wants new clients to have a positive experience with freelancers who know how to work the Upwork system, so they incentivize Top Rated freelancers to work with new arrivals. Since they've just signed up, many don't have verified payment methods.

Sure... it makes sense!

Just assess other aspects of the job/posting/client carefully and don't ignore red flags. Also, make sure payment method is verified before you actually start work.

Thank you for your beautiful advice and will take that into account and get you beer or coffee when get one of those jobs Smiley LOL Smiley LOL 

dannywrites
Danielle R Member Since: Feb 4, 2017
4 of 8

I've landed two special offer jobs in the past 24 hours, both of which were posted by clients with unverified payments. Both clients verified their payment upon offering the contract without my asking.

I wonder if the Upwork system prompts clients with unverified payment methods to verify them when submitting contract offers?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Danielle, yes, the client is asked to add and verify a payment method when making an offer.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 8

I'm really late to this party, but when did the special offer jobs get reinstated?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 8

We announced it earlier this month, Nichola. Check out the most recent thread in the Top Rated forum for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 8

Thanks Valeria, I've got it. I haven't looked at that forum in a while.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS