🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What Are My Next Steps With This Client? ...
Page options
brandonfinamore
Community Member

What Are My Next Steps With This Client? Feedback Appreciated!

Hi all! I'm a graphic designer here on Upwork. I currently have a client who is working with me to complete a lengthy project with several milestones. He has been great to work with so far, but we have only officially compelted one milestone for the project. I received feedback within 24 hours, changed things, and had the milestone approved and was paid right away. As we embark on the second milestone, things are much different. I submitted work to him and his company on the 24th of May. I have yet to receive feedback on my job and the milestone pyament has not been released as we are still awaiting any final possible changes. I have politely reached out on two separate occassions asking for an update. The first time was on May 28th, and I was told I've have feedback by the end of the day on the 29th. No word. Then I reached out this past Monday, June 1st. His response was "We should have feedback for you soon!" I received nothing. Today is June 5th and they are not able to provide feedback until the normal weekday. At this point, I will have to wait until at least the 8th of June to possibly get this approved, meaning it will be at least 3 weeks and 1 day since the job has been fulfilled and awaiting a response. 

Wondering if you all have any tips on how to move forward here. This is a large-scale project and I'm very excited to work on it, but I've just become a bit frustrated with the lack of respect for my time and efforts on this phase of the project. I've been very polite and flexible up until this point, but have also been passing up other project inviations here on the platform because I thought we'd be adavancing on the next phases of this much sooner. I have put in the work and at least deserve to be paid. At that point, They can take as long as they'd like to get back with me. 

I welcome any feedback or advice you have! Thank you! 

Brandon

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You'll have to find the sweet spot on this sort of project between maintaining contact with the client and becoming an annoyance. If the client is not in much of a hurry, you can't be either (regardless what milestone dates were originally agree on).

I suppose I would just send a quick "Just checking in..." note once a week or so. I typically do hourly projects that require only 20 - 30 hours of my time but that is spread out over multiple months because the client is in no hurry. (I usually have 10 - 15 projects going at any one time.) I have never had one complain when I check in after a long delay.

When idle clients do come back online I don't put them at the head of the line, but still try to finish each stage of my work for them ASAP. 

For self-protection, if I were you I think I'd get the client to agree via the message board to an up-to-date due date at the beginning of each new milestone, not for the purpose of setting that date in stone but to drop a hint that you take milestones seriously and they should, too.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Keep being polite and flexibile - there is no telling what is going on on the client's side,but it is unlikely you are their top priority.

Alwayssubmit your completed work (or even substantially completed work) using the "Submit" button on the project page, which starts the 14-day automatic payment cycle.

Don't begin work on a milestone until a) payment has been released to you for all prior milestones and  b) the newest milestone is fully funded in escrow.

And don't avoid accepting other work. You're a freelancer; no one has a monopoly on your time unless you agree to give them one.

Good luck! 

Hi Will, I appreciate the feedback. I sent only a screenshot of the job, not the actual file itself (may be helpful to know). I think I will go ahead and submit the current file under the milestone to start that automatic 14 days. I agree with that. 

I suppose my biggest question is in figuring out whether to reach out a third time to the client, or simply waiting idly. I want to ensure the client knows that it's important to respect my time... I'm more than willing to have flexibility but I think at this point I've given enough flex. Since this is a long-term job (with 6 other milestones to complete) I want to continue to have a good relationship with them while also protecting myself as a freelancer. 

You'll have to find the sweet spot on this sort of project between maintaining contact with the client and becoming an annoyance. If the client is not in much of a hurry, you can't be either (regardless what milestone dates were originally agree on).

I suppose I would just send a quick "Just checking in..." note once a week or so. I typically do hourly projects that require only 20 - 30 hours of my time but that is spread out over multiple months because the client is in no hurry. (I usually have 10 - 15 projects going at any one time.) I have never had one complain when I check in after a long delay.

When idle clients do come back online I don't put them at the head of the line, but still try to finish each stage of my work for them ASAP. 

For self-protection, if I were you I think I'd get the client to agree via the message board to an up-to-date due date at the beginning of each new milestone, not for the purpose of setting that date in stone but to drop a hint that you take milestones seriously and they should, too.

Brandon F wrote:

Hi Will, I appreciate the feedback. I sent only a screenshot of the job, not the actual file itself (may be helpful to know). I think I will go ahead and submit the current file under the milestone to start that automatic 14 days. I agree with that. 

I suppose my biggest question is in figuring out whether to reach out a third time to the client, or simply waiting idly. I want to ensure the client knows that it's important to respect my time... I'm more than willing to have flexibility but I think at this point I've given enough flex. Since this is a long-term job (with 6 other milestones to complete) I want to continue to have a good relationship with them while also protecting myself as a freelancer. 

How you choose to manage client interactions is up to you. I have found that my clients who are working on large projects often have much more to worry about than whether or not they've contacted me within a certain time frame. I work when they send me the next phase and fund it.

There is no "respect my time" issue because I'm the one who manages my time. If someone gets back to me and I am busy, I tell them when I can deliver what they have requested. They can choose to accept that or work with someone else. If you don't want to work with someone who doesn't stick to a defined schedule, fire them. Close the contract and move on. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths