cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Can Be Done About Misleading Client Rates?

Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
1 of 3

A few times now, I have seen what I consider fraud.

For example, a job is advertised for $100.  The client contacts me and says that they would like me to work for them.  However, the rate is $6/article.  

Theoretically they could say that the $100 is for a certain number of articles.  However, this would work out to 16.67 articles, which is obviously absurd.

The $100 clearly has nothing to do with their rates.  If they had been honest about the real rates, I would never have applied.  

My filter is set to filter out jobs below $100.  These clients can get around the filter by advertising the job as $100.

Sometimes clients don’t know what to charge but they at least acknowledge that in the description.   It is a bit annoying but I can understand. 

However, clients like these have set rates and are deceiving us.  We should not be in the position of wasting time and Connects on them.  What can be done about these bottom feeders?  Are there any rules that apply?

Yes, I have figured out that we should avoid applying for such jobs.  Yet it is not always clear ahead of time that they are misleading us and there should be some proactive measures to prevent this.  

Ace Contributor
Greg G Member Since: Jan 1, 2015
2 of 3

Hi Cathy,

It's a tough situation.

I would say that was just a misleading job posting. In cases where they're just blatantly lying, I suppose you could contact Upwork to at least let them know this is going on with this client. 

Fortunately, this seems more like the exception than the rule, from what I've seen.

Greg G.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 3

@Cathy C wrote:

A few times now, I have seen what I consider fraud.

For example, a job is advertised for $100.  The client contacts me and says that they would like me to work for them.  However, the rate is $6/article.  

Theoretically they could say that the $100 is for a certain number of articles.  However, this would work out to 16.67 articles, which is obviously absurd.

The $100 clearly has nothing to do with their rates.  If they had been honest about the real rates, I would never have applied.  

My filter is set to filter out jobs below $100.  These clients can get around the filter by advertising the job as $100.

Sometimes clients don’t know what to charge but they at least acknowledge that in the description.   It is a bit annoying but I can understand. 

However, clients like these have set rates and are deceiving us.  We should not be in the position of wasting time and Connects on them.  What can be done about these bottom feeders?  Are there any rules that apply?

Yes, I have figured out that we should avoid applying for such jobs.  Yet it is not always clear ahead of time that they are misleading us and there should be some proactive measures to prevent this.  

Another freelancer suggested an "other" box for inappropriate postings, in which a freelancer could say, "not enough detail" or "budget not clear" etc. I think it is a really good idea.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/quot-Others-quot-option-in-quot-Flag-as-inappropriate-qu...

@Greg

Greg you must remove that link from your post - it is against the rules and regs. Smiley Wink

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS