🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What Can I Do If a Client Would Not Leave...
Page options
seun0z
Community Member

What Can I Do If a Client Would Not Leave Feedback?

Hi there,

I write to explain some issues I face with some clients and ask for advice what I could do.

I have read an Upwork page about JSS, feedback and the state of a contract. And I discover that contracts left with no activity have adverse effect on the JSS as well as completed jobs with no feedback from the client. Now the issue is, I don't think many clients are aware or care how the freelancer is affected by these. I have a number of jobs with no activity presently. The clients have left them with the opinion that they will come back to it when they are through with what they are busy with. I messaged one some time ago about his contract and he told me he would get back to me "in the next couple of days," but it's been weeks and I am yet to hear from him. I don't want to message him again so it does not look like I am bothering him. Also, some just like me to be on standby for quick assistance.

I have another client whom I have just messaged to give feedback on a contract we completed months ago, but he replies that he has no idea how to do that on Upwork. I search online and find an Upwork page that clearly explains it and sends it to him. But he doesn't bother to check. Now I'm thinking about ending the contract on my end but letting him know beforehand, to make it easier for him to give feedback (through the notification he will get from Upwork).

For the most part, some clients just don't bother to end a contract and give feedback as the system requires. They prefer to just hire, approve and leave. And the reasons I usually get are:

I'll get back to you (because they are busy with other things I think).
I'll need you again (which could be in months to come. Why not end it now and hire me again since it is not going to be anytime soon?).
I don't know how to do it (and they don't care to find out).

Please advise how I can deal with these situations so I keep having a healthy JSS, a better chance to getting a new contract, and so it affects less if it happens that a client leaves not-so-good rating/feedback.

Thanks in advance
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Member

It's a pattern of "No Feedback," and I feel that they've really eased up on that rule. I closed three in a row a couple months ago. Normally, that would at least hit me by a point but it didn't at all. I closed 5 in a row last year and it was ooooof no bueno but it seems some time in the last year they've lessened the hit you take.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Edunjobi O wrote:

I have read an Upwork page about JSS, feedback and the state of a contract. And I discover that contracts left with no activity have adverse effect on the JSS as well as completed jobs with no feedback from the client.

Contracts that close without feedback, as well as idle contracts, have no effect on your JSS provided money was (at some point) paid, and you don't have a super-high percentage of such contracts (you don't)

The best time to get a client to close a contract is just after the work was done, but if they don't, you can leave them and then just close one every once in a while between contracts that ended with feedback.

It is a non-issue.

seun0z
Community Member

Oh thanks!
lysis10
Community Member

It's a pattern of "No Feedback," and I feel that they've really eased up on that rule. I closed three in a row a couple months ago. Normally, that would at least hit me by a point but it didn't at all. I closed 5 in a row last year and it was ooooof no bueno but it seems some time in the last year they've lessened the hit you take.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Still, in an excess of caution, I would advise you close the Petra way, not the Jennifer way this time.

Since you don't have hundreds of contracts under you belt yet, you might not have enough good contracts to nullify any negative JSS effect that closing a slew of them at once could have on your account.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths