cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Consitutes "Low Activity" For Payment Protection? Also Clarification on Statmeent

Highlighted
Community Leader
Aaron F Member Since: Apr 26, 2009
1 of 3

Hello

I have an ongoing dispute with a client that I was contacted about on October 12...payment was on September 3.

Anyhow I would like to clarify the following:

- CS says that I had "low activity" on 1 hour and 20 mimuntes. What consitutes low activity level? Some of them have an acitvity level of 2 - is anything below a 3 considered low activity?

Also I outlined how many free hours I had provided the client does that not mean anything in this dispute?

The CS is asking me to refund about $50 with the statmeent "Please understand that future disputes will not have the same outcome." - I do not understand what that means? I outlined how I did my best to please the client and gave him over 20 free hours does this not have anything to do with the dispute?

Also the statement "You may be suspended for not providing a refund" however when I check this article : https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000361107-Mediation-Assistance

It reads "They are not a judge or arbitrator and there will be no 'ruling' in anyone’s favor. Instead, the goal is to discuss the matter and work together to resolve any issues."

Therefore why would I be subject to a suspension because of this refund which wasn't filed during the  standard dispute period. 

All my work diary screenshots show me working on actual work; and about 1hr 20 minutes of activity that was about 2 out of 10 .... so this doesn't qualify for payment protection?

Any clarifications on my questions would be helpful.

Also the amount the CS asked me to refund I believe it is more than the needed amount since it includes the Upwork fee coming out of my own earnings...therefore I am asking what is the actual amount I would have to refund from my earnings WITHOUT the Upwork fee ?as that will be automtically added during the refund orocess correct?

Any help to keep everything in good standing will be appreciated.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 3

@Aaron F wrote:

- CS says that I had "low activity" on 1 hour and 20 mimuntes. What consitutes low activity level? Some of them have an acitvity level of 2 - is anything below a 3 considered low activity?

Anything under 5 is low activity but according to the terms of Service your dispute is moot anyway because in the terms of service it says:

Under Hourly, Bonus, and Expense Payment Agreement:  "Upwork will only review the 30 days of work performed prior to the date a User requests Dispute Assistance."

That means ANY hours prior to 12th of September should not be reviewed (which is really nonsense because if the last payment was 30 days ago then EVERYTHING is "prior to the date a User requests Dispute Assistance" by definition)

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 3

@Aaron F wrote:

I outlined how I did my best to please the client and gave him over 20 free hours does this not have anything to do with the dispute?

Aaron, you shouldn't give ANY free hours if you can't afford to. If the client asked for it, that's different, because that would violate site terms, but even then, you just report the client.