🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What IRS form does Upwork use now?
Page options
lysis10
Community Member

What IRS form does Upwork use now?

I did my taxes on TurboTax this year, and I guess there is a new replacement for the 1099 contractor income named 1099-NEC. I carried over the 1099 info from last year (I believe it was 1099-MISC) but wasn't sure what box to use for my Upwork income. I used box 4. 

Then I realized all my off platform clients used the new 1099-NEC. Is Upwork using 1099-NEC now or are they still on the old 1099-MISC? I will need to adjust next year's taxes to the new form. I'm asking since I do not receive the form anymore.

9 REPLIES 9
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

While we can't provide tax advice, I'll double-check with the team in case something changed. But in general, Upwork wouldn't provide 1099-Misc. In qualifying cases, freelancers would receive 1099-K which is a different form. Here is most up-to-date info we have.

~ Valeria
Upwork

oh my bad, I meant 1099-K. I know you can't give advice, but I noticed that some clients switched to the new 1099-NEC, so I'm not sure if that would apply to the 1099-K. 

Jennifer - I got a 1099-K from Upwork at the end of January.

ETA: there was a gross amount in box 1A, number of transactions in box 3, a monthly breakdown in 5A through L, and state code in box 6. the PSE and third part network boxes were checked.  Hope that helps.

Wes C wrote:

ETA: there was a gross amount in box 1A, number of transactions in box 3, a monthly breakdown in 5A through L, and state code in box 6. the PSE and third part network boxes were checked.  Hope that helps.

Hey thanks for that! I think I used the wrong box. lol oh well whatever. They got their money.

But you answered my question. Maybe the new NEC doesn't replace the 1099-K document. Maybe it just replaces the MISC one. Thanks a lot for the response. This helps me because I had no idea what form to file with.

florydev
Community Member

I don't think it replaces the MISC, it is just that the MISC was a poor choice for non-employee income so they created the NEC.  I suspect that it is all part of the IRS's mission to go after anyone who is really keeping employees but treating them as 1099.

Jennifer M wrote:

Wes C wrote:

Hey thanks for that! I think I used the wrong box. lol oh well whatever. They got their money.

If you used box 4 you could be in for a nice surprise... that's the amount withheld 🙂

Wes C wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Wes C wrote:

If you used box 4 you could be in for a nice surprise... that's the amount withheld 🙂

oh fun! lmao!

I can't remember which one I used. I used the "miscellaneous income" box. Maybe it wasn't box 4. I'm a risk taker as you can tell and just go with whatever and hope it comes out ok. lmao In a year I'll be all "omg the tax man cometh!"

For real though, I must not have used that one because TurboTax would have calculated a deduction and they def didn't do that since I owed. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Jennifer and others,

I'd like to provide an update here. We've adjusted the help article to include information about 1099-NEC form.

Freelancers—including those who earned more than $600—will not receive a Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC from Upwork. Your clients are not required to send you a 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC, either.

As before, qualifying freelancers will still receive 1099-K.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks a lot Valeria for following up and clarifying. It's much appreciated. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths