Highlighted
Aileen C Member Since: May 23, 2017
11 of 18
Thank you so much
Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 18

Hi Aileen, 

I'm sorry for the delay as I had to locate the contract, and conversation that you are referring to. It appears that this issue stemmed from miscommunication between you and your client, and I would like to recommend that if you are not clear on what part of the project you are meant to complete, it would be best to communicate further with the client so that disagreements like this can be avoided. 

I will go ahead and check this with the team further, and I'll come back here once I have more information.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 18

Avery O wrote:

I would like to recommend that if you are not clear on what part of the project you are meant to complete, it would be best to communicate further with the client so that disagreements like this can be avoided.

Bit late for that now, wouldn't you say?

If the client has asked for money to be refunded outside of Upwork = Policy violation

If the client has threatened 1 star feedback if not refunded (outside the platform) = Policy violation.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
14 of 18

Petra, 

I understand where you are coming from. However, I have based my reply on what the OP has shared on the thread, and so that other (silent) users who are reading this thread can learn from the experience. 

I am unable to share more information about this case as per our privacy policy, but I would like to thank you for pointing out the policy violations that may have stemmed from this case. I will take note of this when escalating this case to the team. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 18

Avery O wrote:

t I would like to thank you for pointing out the policy violations that may have stemmed from this case. I will take note of this when escalating this case to the team. 

Thank you Smiley Happy

Highlighted
16 of 18
Hi,

Yup I agreed to that. We were communicating via email as well about the
issue. I already apologized to the client for any miscommunication and
misunderstanding on the task from the get-go. The task was placed under a
certain category for new hire which is where I'm under and I'm the new
hire. I understood it as a general task since I received a notification
about the task with files attached and instructions. I am willing to give a
refund and even provide service without pay to compromise with the
inconvenience on her part. I mean things can be resolved with proper
communication and without threats or bullying in my opinion.
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 18

Hi Aileen,

I'm sorry about the issue that arose with your client on this contract. I won't be able to advise on any action you should take but would like to outline the options you have. In case the client is looking for a refund of hours logged solely working on a task they mentioned wasn't requested of you, and you agree with this request, you can proceed with refunding the hours. If you disagree and confirm you were asked to complete the task by the client or someone from their team, you can decline and in case the client files a dispute, have our dispute team review the task you were asked to complete and hours you logged.

If you were requested to complete the task by the client and logged hours in line with the requirements listed here, you're covered by Hourly Payment Protection.

Please send me a private message by clicking on my name in case the client is asking you to refund the hours outside the task in question and also for the refund to be processed off-Upwork, so I could check and advise you accordingly. 

Highlighted
18 of 18

Hi thank you. My client is asking for a refund of everything including those that I've worked for the past month I think. I told my client that Upwork will give her enough time to review the work I did before approving the payment and if she approved it then doesn't that mean that I am doing the right task? As far as I know Upwork will notify the client about the weekly log in review similar to what freelancers get on their emails. And the file was a shared one so any changes made there is visible to my client and her team. I'm just wondering why it took my client a month before calling me out about it since Upwork always sends reminders and notifications about weekly log ins.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS