cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is Upwork Doing About the Negative Effects of Dormant Contracts on Job Success Score?

mandylula
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
11 of 29

I've only been back here for just over a month so don't have an issue with a particular job.  The one and only job I landed, was completed, I was paid and I closed it.  Maybe not the best thing to do(?).

The client (new to Upwork) then hired me for some additional work, and luckily he was very good about rating me when I asked him to (after I had closed).

The second job shows on my "Jobs" but does not show on my profile as "Job in Progress".  Have I created a problem for myself for if ever I get onto JSS level?  Does it count in your favour if the clent closes rather than you doing it?  Is it better to add the second job to the first one? 

It's bad enough applying for jobs that require a 90% JSS without a JSS.  Would not like to create a 75% JSS due to ignorance. Smiley Frustrated

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 29

Mandy,

In general, the best practice is (probably) to make a habit of requesting clients to close contracts, and to close them yourself rather than to let them go more than a month or so (truly) idle.

A good mental habit is not to stress over the JSS, and particularly not over its minutiae, most of which pale in comparison to client satisfaction.

Finally, there are requirements and "requirements." Successful contractors regularly report successfully applying for jobs whose "requirements" they do not meet.

Best,
MIchael

mandylula
Community Guru
13 of 29

Thanks Michael, advice taken.

Sadly Smiley Tongue I don't have much to stress over right now.  I am applying to the 90% JSS jobs, but feel that if the client receives 20 applications, he/she is not even going to look at mine.  From my stats it appears I am right.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 29

@Mandy D wrote:

Thanks Michael, advice taken.

Sadly Smiley Tongue I don't have much to stress over right now.  I am applying to the 90% JSS jobs, but feel that if the client receives 20 applications, he/she is not even going to look at mine.  From my stats it appears I am right.

Your stats won't tell you whethr your proposal is being considered. As far as I can see, about half of the people who hire me never visit my profile.  

There's a lot going on in yours, though. You seem to be offering several different services, with varying levels of experience down to none.

If I were you, I would take out the part about humor and website writing and the design piece and pull the rest together into business services. Definitely never say you want to try something on your profile--clients are looking for proven success.

Then, I would seek out postings that had something specific to connect to my skills. For example, you say you've done business plans before--look for postings where the client is not just looking for a business plan, but looking for a business plan in an industry you've written business plans in before. Or, whatever detail you can find. Find and show your specific connection to the project that makes you the best fit.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
15 of 29

Mandy, I agree with Tiffany. Clients don't care what you're interested in or like to do. All they care about is what skills you can offer them to solve their problem. I'd suggest refining your profile to focus one something you can do very well, and look for those jobs. Make sure in your proposal you are directly addressing the client's problem and how you can help them solve that problem.

mandylula
Community Guru
16 of 29

Thanks Tiffany

I have been looking at my profile for a while and thinking it is too wishy-washy, so you have spurred me on to make those changes.

Thanks Jennifer D

As I am only applying to accounting jobs right now, I don't send out that many proposals, so each one does directly address the client's needs.  

I tend to waffle a bit though, so make a concerted effort to keep the proposals as short and sweet as possible.  Maybe I come across as abrupt(?).

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
17 of 29
Mandy,

Waffling and maundering are the order of the day, Stand out from the crowd by being clear, concise, and most of all on point—the point being clients' needs and how you can meet them.

Best,
Michael

p.s. Correlation is a necessary but insufficient condition for causation.
mandylula
Community Guru
18 of 29

Thanks Micheal, that is what I am striving for.  Will just have to keep plodding along until someone bites.

PS: I wish there was some correlation between the number of applications I send out and job offers I receive.   

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 29

Hi Mandy,

You closing the job yourself doesn't affect your Job Success score. That being said, it's better to ask the client to close the job because that way you make sure that there are no outstanding tasks and the client leaves feedback. 

A job will show on your Work History once there is a payment of at least $1 made on it. It can also take a few hours for your profile to update. A contract will show under your My Jobs tab right after it's created.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mandylula
Community Guru
20 of 29

Thanks Valeria,

So the job is not in progress just because it has been funded. There must first be a transfer of money to my account?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS