cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I good at?

markbelain
Mark P Member Since: Mar 1, 2014
1 of 6
I've made an oDesk account and would really like to start working as a general freelancer working to become more of a professional in my other fields. Transcription, data-entry, and perhaps even translation jobs all sound exceptional entry-level jobs, but every application I send doesn't even get a response. I've figured I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help?
expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 6
I like to think I'm good at what I do, but, in reality, the common theme in nearly every job I've got has been that I was the first sensible response. If you're not in the top 5, you're unlikely to hear from them, and after 15, you'll never hear from them at all. Try some tiny jobs first for great feedback, then slowly go for bigger ones, and keep the feed on - loaded with as many relevant search terms as possible - to be quick off the mark. Hope this helps.
junelle
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
3 of 6
i find your question disturbing. if you're not sure what *you're* good at, how can you expect the *clients* to know? the one reason why i think you're not getting a response to your applications is because your profile says almost nothing about you or what you can do. please, please make an effort first before coming to the forums and asking why you can't land a contract.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
trenticle
Benedict N Member Since: Dec 12, 2009
4 of 6
Firstly as Junelle states, improve your profile, it doesn't take that much time and shows that you care. If you don't put any effort into your profile, how do I know you're going to put any effort into your work? There are plenty of posts that give you tips on how to improve your profile. I'd also narrow your focus on a single skill. If I'm hiring someone, I want them to be really good at what they do, not so-so at a lot of things. Maybe focus on your Polish-English translation and target any job you see that comes up. Also ensure that your cover letters answer any questions the client asks and is succinct and to the point.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 6
There are newbies to oDesk - everyone has to start sometime - but they come here with skills they have gained elsewhere. Nobody wants to hire a freelance translator who is first learning the language or a freelance developer who is first learning to program. You can try data entry, but you will be competing with people from foreign countries who can charge much lower rates than are worthwhile for you, and you won't really be able to compete on skill, unless you can type at a record-breaking, superhuman rate. Take a class, sign up to a training program, get a local internship, continue teaching yourself new skills. Come back when you have something to offer.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
6 of 6
Hi Mark, I don't think that it's a good idea to label yourself as a 'beginner' on your profile. You might give the client the impression that you're unsure about completing a job successfully. You need to add some more examples to your portfolio. Show the client what you have to offer. I think I know what you mean by 'general freelancer', but although you want to offer multiple services to a client, you still need to be more specific about what you can offer. i.e Data Entry, Typing, creating spreadsheets, online research, using Microsoft etc. Some clients may not have the time or patience to read your profile thoroughly, so they need to be able see what you can offer in a snap shot. Maybe use a bullet point format? Underneath your name at the top of your profile, you've only selected the keyword 'data entry', select some more keywords. Take some more oDesk tests that are relevant to your skill set. Hide any tests which have low scores and re-take them until you achieve a higher score. Expand more about your employment history. At the moment you're giving clients the impression that you've only had 1 job in your lifetime in 2013. If you're still learning to speak Polish, market yourself as a translator when you're completely fluent. Clients will usually require a fluent speaker for translator roles. I hope that you find these suggestions helpful. I wish you the best. Gillian
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS