cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances with zero experience

robertess
Robert S Member Since: Sep 21, 2016
1 of 14

Greetings.     I know I write well and have experience in many facets lof manufacturing and do very well in understanding what other poeple write. My problem would be that I don't have experience with this kind of work, so how would I convince a prospect that you can do the job. How do I get started?

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
2 of 14

This is a platform for professional freelancers who are experienced in their respective fields, so you're going to have a hard time competing with experts.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
BEST ANSWER
3 of 14

@Robert S wrote:

Greetings.     I know I write well and have experience in many facets lof manufacturing and do very well in understanding what other poeple write. My problem would be that I don't have experience with this kind of work, so how would I convince a prospect that you can do the job. How do I get started?

What kind of service do you actually plan to offer? Why would you want offer a service you have no experience with? Unless perhaps, you mean that you do not have experience being a remote freelancer. If that is the case, I suspect that your level of English communication needs work.

In addition, I don't think your current country of residence is the United States. If I'm wrong, prove it by adding a properly written Profile overview.

Your profile is completely empty of your hourly rate, experience, test results, education, and Photo.

Get started by filling out your profile. Read the Upwork Forums, the Freelancer Support Pages, and watch some of the training videos.

View solution in original post

brianajross
Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
4 of 14

Writing is probably one of those fields like graphic design, which is what I do, where freelancing is not the place for beginners. Freelancing is what professionals do after they have years of experience and they know enough about their field that they can go out on their own. I've seen way too many people who freelance as their first job and they don't even know how to approach a client or the logical steps it takes to complete a project, and they turn up on internet forums asking what format to submit a logo in. It's just laughable. If you're asking a basic question, like whether you should work in a your field as a freelancer without having any experience, then you already don't know enough about your field to be an independent contractor.

Also, based on what your wrote in your post, you should not be offering services as a writer (unless you want to write in a language other than English and can do it very well), because the writing in your post is poor. I'm not saying this to be rude, I'm saying this to prevent a situation where a client on UpWork actually hires you, you spend hours on the job, and then the client refuses to pay you because the work is subpar. I've seen too many posts on UpWork describing this type of scenario.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 14

@Robert S wrote:

It's a good thing that you do very well in understanding what other people write. I don't see how to market that skill, though.

Your English level is probably native, not conversational, as indicated in your profile.

Other that that, I'm afraid that your profile doesn't demonstrate any skills or value that a client may need over here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
6 of 14

I must respectfully disagree with those saying that this platform is only for professionals and those who have already established themselves, etc. Of course, you should have professionalism and at least a basic knowledge of how to interact with clients.

But I know for a fact that several folks have become successful on this platform with little to no professional experience. If a person is willing to put in the work, do the research, adapt, adjust and translate any previous experience into value for potential clients, it can work for them. 

Of course, it's not ideal if a person is dependent on income from the platform since this takes time. However, it is not impossible nor is it a waste of time or effort, if you can clearly state what you do and the value that you bring to the table. 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
7 of 14

Nia, I agree with the spirit of your post for sure. People who are new to the platform are surely very different than people who are new to the specific type of work they are offering on the platform. But, in certain cases (like writing, design, and other fields that benefit greatly from training and/or hands-on experience) getting some real-world experience under your belt before trying your hand at it on Upwork is a big help. Not only can you list that experience in your profile to lend legitimacy to your online presence, but you have a foundation on which to build here on the platform. OP said he didn't have experience with this work in the past, so some experience off-platform would be great in this case. 

Your advice about it taking time is right on. It's rarely an instant revenue generator and shouldn't be thought of as such, otherwise disappointment is right around the corner. 

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
8 of 14

Hi Melissa,

I absolutely agree that some experience is a big help.

What I was disagreeing with is the idea that it's absolutely necessary as some have said or implied. That's a discouraging thought IMO and one that's not correct. Though it is harder to get started without experience, a person can win clients without it (even in fields like the ones that you mentioned). 

But I totally agree with all that you said 😉

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
9 of 14

High-five, Nia! 🙂

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 14

Robert,

You are not quite hitting the mark by saying you have no experience. You have plenty of experience, but you need to channel it to fit your current interests and to write your overview accordingly.

If genealogy is your special interest, for example,  and you can offer a service by researching other people's ancestry, then go for it, but make sure you can deliver what you offer (lots of research!) and that you get paid correctly for the work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS