Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances with zero experience

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
11 of 14

@Nia G wrote:

I must respectfully disagree with those saying that this platform is only for professionals and those who have already established themselves, etc. Of course, you should have professionalism and at least a basic knowledge of how to interact with clients.

A breath of fresh air, you are.  I can't speak for ALL of the established freelancers, but I think it's fair to say that many of us with 5+ years of freelancing did not start out established.

Yes, it helps if your corporate skill set translates into a remote contractor scenario, but not everyone wants to get into the same grind for another 10 years.

I will readily admit that while my corporate experience gave me work ethics and communication skills, initially I had no idea how to make freelancing into the small business owner I am today.

I gave up a successful career in IT management for the life of a full time freelancer. Haven't done 1 single hour of tech support for a single client. I've switched my primary focus twice while on Upwork.

I think a lot of new folks get into this business, with great intentions, but they need time to adapt. Their reasons for getting out of the rate race are varied. Most certainly though, how many people can say they are doing the same thing, 5 years down the road, as when they started?

I think that good work ethics, basic communication skills and a couple of general skill sets can get one started on Upwork. The rest happens with time, dedication to the craft, and hard work.

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
12 of 14

Thank you very much! Sounds like you are living proof of the exact thing that I'm talking about. I agree with all that you said. 

Honestly, though I am not aiming this comment at anyone who's commented on this, I think that there is a stigma among experienced Upworkers. Perhaps some feel that freelancing newbies are negatively impacting the marketplace because they have lower rates or some similar reason, so it's better not to have them here at all.

But that really should make no difference. The newbies can take the clients that are looking for quick, low-priced work and the more experienced can win over those who want quality and are willing to pay more for it. There's little to no competition in that (between the experienced and inexperienced).

All my rambling is just to say that there is a place here for everyone who is willing to work for their place here.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 14

Robert: with your extensive real-world experience in manufacturing and production, I think you could market yourself here as a consultant in those areas. If you want to do this, you should focus your profile on that particular skill. Look at other freelancers who offer similar services. Do some research.

Alternatively, if you've had enough of manufacturing and production and wish to do something as a hobby that is interesting to you and may also earn you a bit of cash, then you could focus your profile around your genealogy skills instead and offer your services as a genealogy researcher. Again, you should look at other freelancers in this area, and do some general research around how to market yourself.

In any case, I recommend that you choose one particular skill and focus on that to start with. For someone like you who doesn't have experience as a freelancer, you're generally better off starting focused and then broadening the services you offer once you're established.

You should also change your language level. If you have been in the USA for as long as your work history and education suggest you should be fluent at minimum. If you were born in the USA (I'm sorry, I don't want to assume either way), then you should list your language skill as Native.

I don't want to give you false hope - it *is* hard to start out here. But with a bit of focus and research around marketing yourself as a freelancer, you might be able to get your foot in the door and then get established. Good luck!

(Pandora: I know you have doubts about the OP's English level and therefore location but honestly, he writes so much like my Dad that I believe him 🙂 )

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
14 of 14

@Jennifer D wrote:

(Pandora: I know you have doubts about the OP's English level and therefore location but honestly, he writes so much like my Dad that I believe him 🙂 )

Noted! Perhaps I was a bit harsh. 😞 Not my norm, but I think we have a full moon or something. Today has felt all kinds of wrong.

I really, really like your write-up about his possible manufacturing skills. I WANTED to say something about that in my reply, but do not have any related experience and did not think I was qualifed to address that topic.

I do however, belive that the OP implied he's new to FREELANCING...which means he does probably have any number of skills, we just don't know what they are yet, heh.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS