cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the advantages and disadvantages of public and private profile?

edwin_senador
EDWIN S Member Since: Jan 29, 2013
1 of 9
What are the advantages and disadvantages of public and private profile? Because I'm planning to make my profile private.
cameronjoseph
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
2 of 9
Private: nobody sees it but the clients you apply to. odesk users; only clients and contractors can view you profile, wheather you apply for job or not. Public: everyone in the whole world gets to read it as the search engines have access to it. ------------- mine is private now because i don't want invites. when i change it, it will be odesk users only and not public, because I am not interested in the www seeing it.
edwin_senador
EDWIN S Member Since: Jan 29, 2013
3 of 9
Okay. Thanks Joseph.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9
My profile is set to public. I can tell you one result. If you google my name, my oDesk profile page is the top page returned. So, yes, if your page is set to public, it may be very public indeed.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 9

Unfortunately though, if you do set it to oDesk only, people can't see your profile on the forum  so there's no use asking people to look at your profile on the forum.  This anomaly has been pointed out, but as they've taken six months to add navigation links at the bottom of the page it's obvious there's no point holding the breath on that one. 

aseembhalla
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
6 of 9

I think some people would want to use private profiles to keep their freelance work a secret. If you already have a day job and your boss is not so open to the idea of you having a second job , you might want to hide that. Many companies often have it in contract that their employees can not work for someone else during the employment.

ubaidullah-khan
Ubaidullah K Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 9

See if you make your profile private then no one will be able to see your profile. Its better to keep your profile public and still if you want that your profile should be visible to only Upwork Users then you can set it from the profile setting.

it's all upto you whether you keep your profile private or public, but I will always suggest you to keep it public.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 9

Not to get off topic here, but unless you look like your picture, you would need to change it to either a real picture of yourself, or no picture at all. I say this because whether your profile is public or private, you're account here can be suspended because of that.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 9

@Kathy T wrote:

Not to get off topic here, but unless you look like your picture, you would need to change it to either a real picture of yourself, or no picture at all. I say this because whether your profile is public or private, you're account here can be suspended because of that.

The OP has not been back since his posting in 2013

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS