cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What are the best payment options if you live outside the US?

andrea-moya
Andrea M Member Since: Jul 27, 2016
1 of 20

Hi,

I have just started as a freelancer in Upwork and landed a couple of small jobs. I´m based in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and I´m looking for the best way to get paid. I have a PayPal account and have just opened a Payoneer. But still cannot find what are the fees getting paid through those two channels.

A wire transfer to my local Bank Account is also expensive. 

Any thoughts or experience to share?

Thanks,

Andrea

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 20

Hi Andrea and Diego,

Unfortunately, your posts had to be removed because posts in languages other than English are not allowed by the Community Guidelines. Feel free to re-post your comments in English.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
arqdia
Community Leader
Diego I Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
3 of 20

Sorry.

I'll put some related links for others to see. 

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-withdrawal-fees-outside&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f...

this is for Mexico.

https://www.paypal.com/mx/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

We talked about using payoneer too, but accordingly to Andrea there is an initial and annual fees, but may be a good option in the long run. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 20

Keep in mind that many people WHO LIVE OUTSIDE THE U.S. maintain a U.S. bank account. They can withdraw their Upwork earnings from their Upwork account to their bank account for FREE. No fees at all.

Setting up a U.S. bank account without travelling to the U.S. can be done, but it can be tricky. One of the best ways to do it is to go to a branch of a U.S. bank in your native country, IF something like that is available near where you live.

Setting up a U.S. bank account if you travel to the U.S. with proper identification, documentation and cash can be fairly straightforward.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

Keep in mind that many people WHO LIVE OUTSIDE THE U.S. maintain a U.S. bank account. They can withdraw their Upwork earnings from their Upwork account to their bank account for FREE. No fees at all.

This is all very nice, but what exactly would be the point of that for the vast majority of freelancers in other countries, as they then have exactly the same problem of actually getting HOLD of their money in their own country.  It is certainly MUCH cheaper to use one of the available withdrawal methods than to send money from a difficult to get US bank account to the freelancer's country of residence.

The point is not to find a way to get money out of Upwork, it is to get money into the freelancer's hands.

Plus, contrary to what you keep saying, opening a regular bank account in the US without being a resident is neither cheap nor as easy as wandering into a branch with some form of foreign issued ID.

The majority of US banks will turn it flat down,  and most that do agree want big fat minimum balances (think $ 50 000 in some cases)

I do have a virtual US bank account purely because years ago it was the only way for me to receive my book royalties as they could only be paid into a US bank account.

arqdia
Community Leader
6 of 20

Hi Andrea, I took a look at payoneer website and it's a little hard to find the fees they charge, apparently it's a fixed fee of $3.15 dollars per transaction, but your bank may charge you an extra fee that is not discussed anywhere as every bank and country has different rates. 

I will share the information for Mexico once I got that, but I'm having trouble trusting the service as there is a lot of negative comments in their forums and it looks like there is minimum support, also I can't chat to a representative and they respond emails with an auto response, so maybe I'll call later and test my luck.

If you learn something new please share it. 

andrea-moya
Andrea M Member Since: Jul 27, 2016
7 of 20

Hi Diego,

Yes, it happened the same to me. Is very difficult to find clear information on rates and fees, other than the US $ 3.15 per transaction. I was able to chat online with an agent, though he gave only that info. But even that is more than what I could find about PayPal.

Someone else opened another community discussion earlier today about getting paid in Argentina, and a there are several freelancers speaking about Payoneer. They consider it the best option so far, but there is one freelancer who said that a Banelco ATM at a Galicia branch charged him $ 90 (pesos) for withdrawin. Check that discussion. 

Another one suggested withdrawing money from Uruguay (going to Colonia). And there is the option of having Payoneer to transfer to a bank account, but do not understand the process and costs of it yet. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 20

re: "I'm having trouble trusting the service as there is a lot of negative comments in their forums and it looks like there is minimum support"

Diego:

Upwork is NOT a site that should be used by newcomers who require substantial customer support.

If you are a newbie contractor and you need live chat support, phone support or otherwise require significant customer support, you should focus on other platforms.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I'm having trouble trusting the service as there is a lot of negative comments in their forums and it looks like there is minimum support"

Diego:

Upwork is NOT a site that should be used by newcomers who require substantial customer support.

Preston, he is talking about Payoneer, not Upwork. Clearly.

Diego, I have had my Payoneer card for years and whilst it may not be the cheapest option on the planet I love it.

On the few occasions I had cause to talk to their Support they were EXCELLENT.

I would recommend them for convenience and speed and reliability.

I use a combination, I send some to PayPal, some to one of two bank accounts, some (probably the bulk) through Payoneer.

I have never not had the card accepted in stores, and the one time there was an issue with the card they overnighted a replacement to me in Italy.

I have no complaints at all.

arqdia
Community Leader
10 of 20

Thank you Petra, that is good to know. I may make an account with them based on your comment. Do you have a referal link I could use to your benefit?  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS