cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the hidden criteria of 'Job Success Score'? Please let us know or get rid of it!

Highlighted
Anjo S Member Since: Dec 13, 2015
1 of 7

"We won't reveal the exact calculation for Job Success. Doing so would may make it easier to artificially boost scores. We need to maintain some privacy with this metric to ensure fairness and accuracy." - Upwork.

While I understand that you need to maintain some privacy, many Freelancers are also interested to know why a 100% Job Success would suddenly go down to 76% (to some, even lower) without seeing any valid and impacting factor(s) as far as your JSS FAQs are concerned? I'm starting to think that you don't have any accurate/constant/consistent formula in calculating it. You can't even give someone an acceptable answer in regard to this essential matter.

After all, being Top Rated and having a 100% Job Success score are just  useless brands because most often than not, the Freelancers you would see being recommended and/or being on top of the list are the ones with low to very low Job success scores or the ones who just started their journey on Upwork and  haven't been able to prove themselves yet. And Upwork won't reveal the exact calculation on that either because we might just become more adamant.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 7

I posted a job yesterday. Out of the 10 recommended freelancers only 1 met my expectations, 7 had no work history at all, and some had success scores lower than 90% after I specified 90% and above.

Terribly disappointing.

The one I did offer a job to was found in the hidden folder. Go figure.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
3 of 7

I think one of the biggest issues I'm running into with the success score is that I've worked a couple hundred hours in the month I've been on Upwork, but since 2 out of 3 jobs are fixed rate, and they have provided me consistent, ongoing work, I still have zero feedback and my hours are very low. I didn't want to bug clients so soon for feedback given that I am still working for them, but I fear it may be hurting my chances at other jobs.

I wish there was an easier way to display the actual work done, and that it would reflect positively that freelancers have maintained a position with the same client for over a month. I've done a couple dozen assignmets for each client in a month, but my profile doesn't show it. Obviously my clients are satisfied or they wouldn't still be sending me work daily.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
4 of 7

I have ZERO confidence in the js score. I have ZERO confidence that **edited for Community Guidelines** as to how it affects the freelancer.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ani M Member Since: Nov 1, 2015
5 of 7

Yes, I would like to know as well. I added another job with a perfect rating and my JSS remains unchanged.  You'd think I might get at least a point bump up in my rating.

There needs to be a clear understanding for both client and freelance of how things work, not so they came game the system, but to work within it to be more effective.  I've seen clients ask for a 90% JSS score and freelancers with much less apply for their postions.  I think I've applied to one or two jobs with such a high rating because I was 100% percent sure I could do it. (Normally, I apply to positions where I'm 90% confident I meet the requirements.)

Highlighted
Anjo S Member Since: Dec 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
6 of 7

And while you are continuously wondering why you ended up having a hilarious JSS, clients who are preoccupied with set of qualifications, on the other hand, would, most likely, ignore you because they would only think that 'Job success' is about having or not having the job completely done. They would not know, basically, that there are also other (hidden) factors that can contribute on what they're seeing which even yourself could not figure out, unfortunately.

This is obviously getting massive and I hope that the Product Management Team is taking immediate action about it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Kirsten K Member Since: Jun 11, 2018
7 of 7

Upwork literally just does this to encourage you to get high-paying / high-number of hours / repeat clients so that they continue to take commission. Not a fan. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS