cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the possible grounds for suspension of accounts?

irenemanalo
Irene Manguilimuta M Member Since: Jan 22, 2018
1 of 18

Hello there,

Hoping your having a great day.

Is there a list of grounds of suspension permanently for Upwork? I want to know this because I don't want to happen to me again. Is there a link in Upwork for this matter so I can review it and I know what are the do's and don'ts of the platform.

Hoping for a response.

Thanks,

Irene **Edited for community guidelines**

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 18

In theory, you could be suspended or have your account terminated for violating any of Upwork's ToS.

I can't provide you with a comprehensive list. Upwork is NOT going to provide you with a quick checklist of the things they're actively looking for and the things they WILL terminate your account over.

Having said that...

In practice, there are certain "top rules" that Upwork looks out for most and is more likely to terminate an account for:

- Exchanging money (receiving funds or paying someone) outside of the Upwork platform

- Freelancers with multiple profiles

- Logging into somebody else's account

- Letting somebody else log into your account

- Use of auto-clicker to fake logging time in the time-tracker software

There are, of course, other things that you're not supposed to do but which may be monitored less closely or dealt with less severely. For example:

- fake profile photo

- profile photo that doesn't conform to Upwork standards, or isn't really a photo

- fake profile location

- other fake profile information

- fake/stolen portfolio

- feedback manipulation

- fake jobs to bolster your work history (hiring yourself or working for friends/family)

prestonhunter
Community Guru
3 of 18

re: "I want to know this because I don't want to happen to me again."

What did you do that got you suspended the first time?

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
4 of 18

Hi Irene Manguilimuta,

A freelancer’s account will be suspended if we notice they have submitted proposals for many jobs on our site, but have won very few contracts or had very few earnings. Typically, this means (1) the opportunities on Upwork are not a good match for the freelancer’s skillset, or (2) they are violating our Terms of Service.

You can find more information about this initiative in Garnor's original announcement here.

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 18

Yeah. Bojan's post brings up a good point:

There is a big difference between a "permanent suspension" (e.g. a termination) and a temporary suspension.

And there are many kinds of temporary suspensions. Upwork accounts can be "suspended" for a broad number of reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean a freelancer did something terrible.

Maybe the freelancer is wearing a hat in their photo. Or sunglasses.

They remove the hat or sunglasses, and the suspension is lifted.

Maybe they are scheduled for identity verification, having been randomly chosen. Do the 5-minute verification, and the suspension is lifted.

d72c0f59
Ivy V Member Since: Sep 28, 2020
6 of 18

Hi! Hope you can give me a feedback asap.

Client ask me if I can do a beta testing to a new site but it is an adult site.

Would like to know if this is ground for upwork account suspension.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 18

Hi Ivy,

This type of work is not allowed and it is a violation of our TOS. Our team will review the client further and take proper actions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
towermutasa
Ace Contributor
Tawanda M Member Since: Jul 17, 2021
8 of 18

The thread also says the initiative has been discontinued. Does that mean it's no longer a thing, or ...

egaruth
Nikola S Moderator Member Since: Jul 2, 2020
9 of 18

Hi Tawanda,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that Upwork’s Terms of Service lay out the specific requirements and expectations for activity on and engagement with Upwork’s marketplace. You can find further guidance in the Trust & Safety space of the Upwork Help Center, but there are a few essential things you should be aware of. Please check this page for more information. 

Note: Be advised that you should always submit custom proposals when you apply for jobs. 

~ Nikola

Untitled
towermutasa
Ace Contributor
Tawanda M Member Since: Jul 17, 2021
10 of 18

Nikola S wrote:

Hi Tawanda,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that Upwork’s Terms of Service lay out the specific requirements and expectations for activity on and engagement with Upwork’s marketplace. You can find further guidance in the Trust & Safety space of the Upwork Help Center, but there are a few essential things you should be aware of. Please check this page for more information. 

Note: Be advised that you should always submit custom proposals when you apply for jobs. 

Hi Nikola

I am aware of proposal protocol, thanks.

What I'm asking is the link Bojan posted is to a thread that makes it clear a number of proposals disproportionate to hires can be grounds for suspention / account removal. However, the threat Bojan linked to also starts with the edit:

"UPDATE: this initiative has been discontinued and this thread will be closed from further replies."

So from a curiousity point of view, which is it? Is having too many proposals and too few hires an actionable ofense or not?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS