cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your thoughts on connecting with other talent on Upwork?

gracegarcia2
Upwork Staff
Grace G Upwork Staff Member Since: Jul 14, 2021
1 of 28

Hello everyone! I’m looking deeper into how talent feels about connecting with other talent on the platform. 

Thinking about working independently as a freelancer on Upwork, are there reasons you might like to reach out to other talent, maybe even develop professional relationships with other talent on the platform? 

More specifically:

1. What types of talent would you want to interact professionally with on Upwork and why?
    • Types of talent include:
      • Talent with skills that are the same as your own 
      • Talent with skills complementary to your own
      • Talent in my same geographic region
      • Talent with longer tenure in the platform
      • Other
  2. How would you like to be able to connect with other talent on the platform?
  3. What do you feel is lacking in current ways to collaborate among talent on Upwork?
  4. Would you like to explore ways to connect and collaborate on projects with a trusted group of talent without having to be part of an agency?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
2 of 28

I don't see much of a problem. I prefer to work alone, and if I need some help there's the option of becoming a client and hiring someone. 

I think Upwork should focus on technical problems, which are more urgent, like messages being delayed.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 28

Hi Grace,

I think most people talk in private with other freelancers at their level and to female dog about Upwork :-) So probably wouldn't want to female dog about Upwork on Upwork. :-)  (Also, I can be as inappropriate as I want and not be censored, but that's another thing) The other big one is to rant about a client we're currently working with. Can't really rant about that in public, so you chat about things in private with people you trust. Trust is a big factor and also private groups are usually people who get along and everyone agrees to allow a new person into the group. Nobody really wants some "give me job sir" person in their group and someone they don't think will get along with the group.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 28

re: "Also, I can be as inappropriate"

Have never seen it, but I'll take your word for it.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 28

I got the mouth of a sailor and my jokes are completely inappropriate. It's no wonder I'm unemployed.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 28

Hi, Grace. It's late in the day and directness carrries the hour: IMO this is about the last thing UW needs to be concerned with. I can and do connect with other talent at my own discretion on the platform and off, and don't need or want UW's involvement or intervention in those interactions. 

Since you asked for any and all input, here are things on which UW needs to focus intense, relentless attention:

- Diagnosing and solving the occasional problem of messages being delayed for days. 

- Meaningful vetting of FLs to ensure they are minimally prepared to succeed before allowing them to submit proposals. Stop letting anybody who can fog a mirror and check boxes on profile completion start bidding on jobs.

- Fixing the Best Match algorithm so it stops generating terrible recommendations that doubtless drive clients away and undermine UW's cred.

This is not an all-encompassing list, just the urgent issues that are top of mind for me right now.

Thanks!

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
7 of 28

I concur with what Phyllis has said about networking with other freelancers. I have networked, met, and even hired (through Upwork) fellow freelancers I have met through this forum and other forums. 

In regards to making it easier to work together, the thing that bothers me the most is that in freelancer world outside of Upwork, if I bring in a freelancer to work with me on a project, I don't have to create additional contracts for the client. I am able to create one encompassing quote and send ONE invoice with our hours that gets paid as one. This is far less cumbersome for the client. On Upwork, if I put together a team to work on a project, the client has to go through the cumbersome chore of hiring each one of us separately, unless we do a fixed price model and for many reasons that doesn't work. 

One way to make it easier for us to collaborate is to take the burden off the client and allow us to create contracts for a team to bill hours to. 

wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
8 of 28

Amanda L wrote:

One way to make it easier for us to collaborate is to take the burden off the client and allow us to create contracts for a team to bill hours to. 

This would be useful for people who regularly work in teams.

gracegarcia2
Upwork Staff
Grace G Upwork Staff Member Since: Jul 14, 2021
9 of 28

Hi All,

Thanks for the input so far! We understand that many of you use this and other forums to network and interact with other talent. And that's a great thing! What we're looking into is improving the ways for talent to connect with other talent directly on Upwork even if they didn't run into each other on the forum and potentially form teams to efficiently work on project that require multiple professionals to collaborate.

Amanda L wrote:

[...]

Amanda, your feedback about clients having to hire each team member separately is noted. This is one of the areas we're working on improving.

Finally, we'd like to clarify that exploring new features and updates doesn't mean that resources are taken away from other important parts of the business such as bug-fixing, trust and safety and others many of you noted here.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
10 of 28

Grace G wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for the input so far! We understand that many of you use this and other forums to network and interact with other talent. And that's a great thing! What we're looking into is improving the ways for talent to connect with other talent directly on Upwork even if they didn't run into each other on the forum and potentially form teams to efficiently work on project that require multiple professionals to collaborate.

Amanda L wrote:

[...]

Amanda, your feedback about clients having to hire each team member separately is noted. This is one of the areas we're working on improving.

Finally, we'd like to clarify that exploring new features and updates doesn't mean that resources are taken away from other important parts of the business such as bug-fixing, trust and safety and others many of you noted here.

It's not about taking away resources, it's that we don't want you spending resources on things we don't feel we need when other areas are clearly under-resourced. You come here for our feedback, but you don't listen. What's the point?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS