🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What can I do about getting lower ratings...
Page options
jim_g
Community Member

What can I do about getting lower ratings?

I have had 10 weeks of $1000+ earnings and 5.0 stars and then these shirt-tailed cousins hit me with 4.45, 4.7, 4.8 etc. for no darn good reason. One guy couldn't even spell, and it's easy to tell they are not even a genuine rating, it's based on embarrassment of not knowing how to deal with a project. It's irking me that these have dirtied my perfect 5.0 and they were piddly jobs.

Am I going overboard? I want super high success rating. One said I was so great and gave me a bonus and still gave less than 5.0!!!!!!!! 

Should ratings be weighted to their value compared to other jobs?

6 REPLIES 6
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Jim G wrote:

Am I going overboard? 

Yes, you're going overboard. It's unrealistic to expect that each and every client will be 100% thrilled with absolutely everything that you do. You've still got a good JSS score, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I wonder if your attitude towards these clients (calling them "shirt-tailed cousins" and their jobs "piddly" - and what does their spelling have to do with anything?) might have had something to do with your slightly lower score.

You do realise that clients read forum posts too, right?

You're absolutely right, I am going overboard on this. Time to chill out!

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "One said I was so great and gave me a bonus and still gave less than 5.0"

Don't worry about getting less than 5.0!

As envisioned by Upwork, and if ideally used, perfect 5.0 scores would be RARE.

When a client quickly gives a freelancer a perfect 5.0, the client is essentially not using the system as intended, and not really thoughtfully considering all aspects of the freelancer's performance.

Consider what a perfect 5.0 score means: It means you you were rated perfectly in ALL SIX categories that a client must rate you on:

Skills
Availability
Communication
Quality
Deadlines
Cooperation

Are you really perfect in ALL SIX categories on ALL of your projects? Of course not.

I'm not.

Nobody is.

Maybe you're perfect in some, and great in others. Maybe "great" should be a 4. Maybe you're actually just "good" in some.

And anyway, it doesn't matter when you get less than 5.0 scores. JSS is not hindered by less-than-perfect star-average ratings.

If I get a less-than-five score, I will look at what I was marked down on, and I can see that the client took the time to think about the ratings.

Preston H wrote:

If I get a less-than-five score, I will look at what I was marked down on, and I can see that the client took the time to think about the ratings.

Is it possible to see what they have marked you on? if so how, as all i can seem to see is the overall star rating? - i have 1 client that consistently marks me 4 - 4.4 despite glowing written feedbacks usually ans giving me consistent repeat work. - Id love to know the areas that he thinks need improving so i can try and up my game a little in such areas.

EDITED TO ADD - im not overly concerned about this, it would just be nice to know where i can improve if the system can show us the scores 🙂

thanks

Jon

ah, its ok i have figured it out - click on feedback through profile!

i was previously looking at it through the contract pages

Is it possible to see what they have marked you on? if so how, as all i can seem to see is the overall star rating? - i have 1 client that consistently marks me 4 - 4.4 despite glowing written feedbacks usually ans giving me consistent repeat work. - Id love to know the areas that he thinks need improving so i can try and up my game a little in such areas.

Jon,

Click on the job in your profile and you'll see the areas you didn't receive a 5/5.  As for the client that keeps giving you 4-4.4, ASK him how you can get to a 5.  Perhaps he as a client doesn't realize the impact these scores have on your JSS and your reputation.  You want to continue working for him and you're glad he is satisfied with your work (given he keeps coming back), but want to offer 100% satisfaction 100% of the time.  

As for the OP, your scores are lacking in the "cooperation, communication, and availability" departments which can be easily fixed.  Just be nice and you can curse, roll your eyes, call them whatever - offline.  These clients also didn't rate your skills as 4/5 but that may be based on their opinion given the nature of your work.  

Best,

Robin

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members