🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » What can UpWork do about the incredibly high ...
Page options
jpixie86
Community Member

What can UpWork do about the incredibly high number of clients with unverified payment methods?

There are more job postings from clients with unverified payment methods than there are verified, by a longshot. It's incredibly discouraging to spend every day pouring through the listings and finding plenty that match skills, but rarely any with verified payment methods. Why isn't verification a requirement for clients to post a job in the first place? 

12 REPLIES 12
holymell
Community Member

Because I wouldn't register a credit card through a site just to post a job. What if I didn't find anyone?

Just make sure that your client does verify their payment method before you work for them. I just tell them that Upwork recommends I wait for the verification before I start work. It's not too much to ask of your client that you can be shown that they will pay you...
tlsanders
Community Member

This has been discussed at length. Many people with freelance hiring backgrounds, including one client who posts here and has spent at least $100,000 through Upwork, have said that they would have bypassed the site if they'd been required to verify payment before posting.

Maybe you're taking pre-verification too seriously. A lot of good clients wait to verify until they see whether they're going to hire someone on the site. At least half of my ongoing clients were unverified when I bid on their jobs.

bgreek65
Community Member

I think perhaps Jessica was making the point that without verified payment methods, it makes freelancers wary of applying for these jobs, which is understandable, and does not help the clients achieve their goals either. 

Increasingly, the freelancers are at a disadvantage on this site b/c of all of the things (information) taken away from them as tools by Upwork to screen out scams, low pay, tire kickers, and that sort of client.  I don't mean disrespect, but it is true.  I have begun noticing that a client's previous work history is VERY limited now to see how past jobs with similar requirements have gone with other freelancers.  Now those jobs just disappear quickly, offering no info to work from to make informted choices.  With the freelancers resources limited, including connects each month, as well as no info for informed choices, both the client and the freelancer suffer on this site.  

I understand credit card security and all, but at some point, everyone takes a risk using a site like this.  It would be better to verify clients in some form or fashion before just releasing them to ask for work to be done without good information to work with on the part of the freelancer.

"I think perhaps Jessica was making the point that without verified payment methods, it makes freelancers wary of applying for these jobs..."

And I think Tiffany is saying that they shouldn't be.

I'm not a client here, but almost nothing will make me click away from a site faster than being asked up front for a credit card number.

Experience on this site says otherwise.  

Chris, all Upwork is "releasing them" to do is post an opportunity, just like Craigslist or your local newspaper. If a freelancer is interested in the opportunity, then various elements proceed, including payment verification (again, just like any other context in which you encountered a prospective client).

Absolutely nothing negative can happen to a freelancer as a result of bidding on a job without payment verification except that he or she might waste a couple connects.

ETA: Just saw your response to Charles. I would love to hear your stories of how unverified clients have managed to victimize you although you had done no more than submit a proposal.

Tiffany, actually, that is not a completely accurate statement.  And yes, I know you have a legal background, so arguing points in a black and white scenario is your thing (no disrespect intended).  The negative of this process is time wasted to decide to bid or not, the aforementioned wasting of connects, and total opposite result achieved on the basis on which this site is sold to both freelancer and client ("Oh, it's so easy to use"...."We are here to support you in achieving your goals"...blah blah blah).  The fact that Upwork is skewed HEAVILY in the favor the client already makes it a negative.  You can point out the possible results on the back end of the hiring process, but as Jessica already has stated, it adds a layer to her thought process that could be addressed by Upwork to give freelancers some level of comfort in bidding on these job, and it is not doing it, probably based on the thinking you are expressing here.

That's fine, Chris. Everyone is free to apply his/her own filters. If Jessica chooses to screen out those clients, that's none of my business. I just wanted her to know that a great many successful freelancers here earn a great deal of money and develop many long-term relationships with clients who were unverified when they bid on jobs.

Since there are a great many advantages to being the first freelancer a new Upwork client works with, freelancers who apply that filter often miss out on the best opportunities.

Personal choice, of course. But, the wasted time is a function of that personal choice, not a flaw in the system. It doesn't seem right that those who opt not to bid on unverified jobs want to rob the rest of us of those lucrative opportunities just to save themselves a little time.

petra_r
Community Member

Tiffany, I could not agree more!

I love new clients and I don't mind one bit if they have not verified their payment method when they post their job or hire me.

They just don't get any work until they do. I'll be hitting the 5% fee threshold with one such client I picked up in December next week or so.

I'm so glad I wasn't frightened by their "Payment Method not verified" status when they posted their job and hired me.

"The negative of this process is time wasted to decide to bid or not, the aforementioned wasting of connects..."

I'm confused. There's a filter that lets you specify only verified clients. Click it, all the unverified clients go away, problem solved.

What am I missing?

Anyway, this whole discussion is moot. Requiring a CC up front on a site like this would be corporate suicide. It is not going to happen.

@Charles K wrote:

"The negative of this process is time wasted to decide to bid or not, the aforementioned wasting of connects..."

I'm confused. There's a filter that lets you specify only verified clients. Click it, all the unverified clients go away, problem solved.

What am I missing?

Anyway, this whole discussion is moot. Requiring a CC up front on a site like this would be corporate suicide. It is not going to happen.

It's one of those things that is a problem for people who choose to make it a problem. For the rest of us, it's something to yak about while we're waiting on a big print job to finish.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

What Tiffany and Petra said.

More clients posting w/ unverified payment methods suggests to me that more new clients are finding their way to the platform. That's good news for everybody. The more clients who use UW, the greater chance each of us has of finding and landing more good-fit projects and earning more money.

More FLers shying away from job posts with unverified payment methods is also good news, IMO. It means less potential competition for the projects I want.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Featured Topics
Learning Paths