🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What do I do about a client who is basically ...
Page options
galloway-monique
Community Member

What do I do about a client who is basically asking freelancers to be dishonest and unethical?

I am an archaeologist and recently was sent an offer to interview by a client about researching artefacts for authentication, or at least that is what I understood the contract to be. However,I misunderstood because they wanted me to autheticate the artefact from photographic evidence alone. The artefact was a possible Corinthian Amphorikos, so an intact piece of Greek pottery. Greek pottery has been forged for at least 200 years and some are so good they have ended up on display in musuems until the chemical tests were available, only in the last few years. So it is impossible to say from photos if a piece is authentic or not.

I gave them my CV, wrote a covering letter and had a phone interview where I was completely honest about my skills and experience. My name can be Googled to check my field of specialality, which is not Greek archaeology, so there is no point in tryuing to hide that fact. However, the bread and butter of an archaeologist is doing comparative studies, where you see how a piece conforms or not to known authentic pieces. This is what I provided them in draft form to inquire how they wanted it presented.

Niavely, I did not expect to be told that I had to authenticate the piece as no one who has any knowledge of antiquities would expect that anyone would put their name to whether or not a peice is authentic from photogrpahs alone. Especially a client who states on their website

**Edited for community guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client, Monique. 

Thank you for flagging this for us. I'll be sure to escalate this to the correct team for their review and appropriate action will be taken according to our internal process. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I understand you want to do the right thing, but the main thing is for you to avoid wasting your time with things like that by knowing what the job is about before you click accept. Then you're not trapped in this dilemma. 

There is not a lot you can do about a client like this - he might post 99 legit jobs and one where he tries to get a freelancer to do something unethical. Who knows. Nothing for you to worry about!

(I don't see a bad feedback on your profle - did you refund or were you not hired in the first place?)

I'd have taken one look at the client's history and hotfooted it for the hills....

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members