Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I make of this?

human-jenny
Jenny H Member Since: Jul 17, 2017
1 of 7

Good afternoon

I am new to Upwork and need clarification.

I received an invite for a job offer and was advised to sign up onto Google Hangout for an interview which I duly did after having accepted. 

However I then also noted that the job was marked as inappropriate and removed by Upwork, after having responded to the offer on Hangout.  I was advised by the person that the ad was removed because they had reached their "invite limit"  but that we could still proceed with the interview to which I have not responded further.

Being new - I do not want to be scammed nor do I want to do anything in contravention with Upwork rules and would appreciate some advise / assistance here please.

Thank you and regards

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 7

Getting Started on Upwork

And Newbie + Google hangouts = Run.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
human-jenny
3 of 7

Thank you Rene

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Jenny,

You suspicions aren't misplaced, this is a scam. Please stop communicating with this client and note their job and account was removed from Upwork by our team, for violating Upwork ToS. Please review these safety tips before submitting new proposals, in order to work safely and successfully on Upwork.

Feel free to follow up if you have any questions.

Untitled
human-jenny
5 of 7

Thank you Vladimir

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 7

This new layer to the scam is something we should remember to mention to new freelancers. The scammer is now telling them that they have reached an "invite limit" to explain why the jobs are being removed from Upwork when the scammer is caught.

Horrid people to do that to so many.  

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 7

@Tonya P wrote:

This new layer to the scam is something we should remember to mention to new freelancers. The scammer is now telling them that they have reached an "invite limit" to explain why the jobs are being removed from Upwork when the scammer is caught.

Horrid people to do that to so many.  

I'm following a couple channels on YouTube where they are harassing Indian IRS and tech support scammers. I would love to come up with a way to harass the people doing this scam. The ebay guy gives you a phone number at least. 

OP, your pic, name and your lack of skills put a big "scam me" sign on your profile. You should be careful with any invites you get.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS