Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 30

I would be immensely grateful if somebody could tell me which of these I might (conceivably) need. No explanation is given on one's message page.

Bitbucket

Custom Webhook

Github (In my day 'git' was pejorative)

Icinga

Jenkins

Jira

Nagios

PaperDuty

Pivotal Tracker

Stash

Subversion

If any one of them will rid me of the Chinese wheelbarrow, the Japanese anthem, the Australian continent, the Taj Mahal and all the others that are quite simply a tap-dripping torture, then I will download it. But I would like to know what they are. Are these the great technical changes we have been told to look forward to?

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 30

I have honestly no idea what you are talking about... 

Is this something I would understand if I were using the new chat system???

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 30

Nichola,

You don't need any of these.

I don't use any of these.

Of course, if the things you want to do are quite different than the things I do, then maybe one of these would be useful for you.

colettelewis
Community Guru
4 of 30

It is on the message page>settings<configurations . . .

I just learnt that there are more sheep than people in New Zealand and that China was the first to have paper

money. . .

I have made an appointment with a psychiatrist and I shall be sending the bill to California.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
5 of 30

Nichola, not to be all persnickety:

But it might be helpful if you changed the subject title to something a little more techie Smiley Happy

also:

Subversion:  I have used Tortoise SVN and liked it a lot. Little tricky to get used to, but oh so handy.

http://tortoisesvn.net

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 30

@Pandora H wrote:

But it might be helpful if you changed the subject title to something a little more techie Smiley Happy

also:

Subversion:  I have used Tortoise SVN and liked it a lot. Little tricky to get used to, but oh so handy.

That's what's used for WordPress plugin versioning, correct? It was a PITA to work with but it's been so long since I looked at WP, which is basically the new Front Page extensions aka hacker's paradise.

Nichola, Jira is an Agile PM system. It's OK but most people are going with Trello (cuz free). I've seen some writing agencies use Agile systems, so maybe you might run into it with translation gigs.

Jenkins is a deployment automation system. Used it at Citrix. Pretty cool if you have to deploy software to multiple servers at a time.

Github is for coders too. They tell me that I'm behind the times since I don't have an account. I don't recognize the others.

You gonna move on from translation? Smiley Very Happy

colettelewis
Community Guru
7 of 30

Jennifer, when the proverbial hits the fan in September - and if ever you decide to set up courses for the unwary, I will gladly be your first paying student!

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
8 of 30

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

also:

That's what's used for WordPress plugin versioning, correct? It was a PITA to work with but it's been so long since I looked at WP, which is basically the new Front Page extensions aka hacker's paradise.

Subversion apps (there are many) are specifically for people who write code, of ANY kind. Subversion can be used in other instances, if one can ignore the rather OCD ruleset for usage.

I had an on-site job where there was some specific company data we needed on every machine in the office, The tech guy was using Tortoise SVN and set it up for the company. I liked it a lot, but most of the Exces hated it.

Wordpress and Subversion have nothing to do with one another.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 30

@Pandora H wrote:

Subversion apps (there are many) are specifically for people who write code, of ANY kind. Subversion can be used in other instances, if one can ignore the rather OCD ruleset for usage.

I had an on-site job where there was some specific company data we needed on every machine in the office, The tech guy was using Tortoise SVN and set it up for the company. I liked it a lot, but most of the Exces hated it.

Wordpress and Subversion have nothing to do with one another.

WordPress uses Subversion when you want to publish a plugin. I thought Tortoise SVN was the specific app that WP requires. I thought that's what you were referring to.

OK, I thought maybe I was going crazy. Yeah WP supports TortoiseSVN https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Subversion

Been a while so couldn't remember. I hated it. I remember *that* part.

colettelewis
Community Guru
10 of 30

Now I really know how the babes in the wood felt . . .

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS