🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What do you do when a client asks you to do s...
Page options
melissa_ralston
Community Member

What do you do when a client asks you to do something unethical?

Is there a way to report a client for asking you to do something unethical?

The thing I was asked to do is a huge 'do not ever do that ever' for my profession. 

I ended the contract because by refusing to do the unethical thing I could get a bad review. So now I won't get paid because I technically didn't submit a final project. Did I do the right thing? 

6 REPLIES 6
wlyonsatl
Community Member

You always deserve to get paid for the work you have done.

If the client takes the project in a direction you feel you should not participate in, expect to get paid for what you have done for the client, bow out gracefully and move on.

I don't know that Upwork would necessarily be interested in taking any action against a client in this particular circumstance, but you could report the client's behavior or request to Upwork.

At the very least you should include in your feedback on the project some explanation of why you stopped working for the client. You could include details, or just say you were uncomfortable with the ethics of some portion of the project and recommended the client find another freelancer.

Thanks Will!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I don't do things that violate my own ethical standards or those of my profession, regardless of who asks me to. In your shoes, I would have politely but firmly refused to do the unethical thing. If it was deal-killer for the client, then I would have asked to be paid for work to date and bowed out. Presumably, the contract was set up with more than one milestone, so you'd have some leverage in that regard. (If not, then take that as a lesson.) If the client dinged you on feedback, you'd have a chance to respond. Either way, you'd at least get paid something. Obviously, it's not ideal to get less-than-stellar fb so early in your UW career. But it doesn't have to be catastrophic. With a nothing-paid contract, however, I think you don't even get to leave feedback (and neither does the client), so the client is not held to account at all.

re: "Did I do the right thing?"

Yes.

Keep in mind that on Upwork, you can end a contract for ANY reason.

Being asked to do something unethical by your standards is a VERY GOOD reason to end a contract.

The money and JSS shouldn't really be a consideration.

But such instances may very well not have anything to do with Upwork.

If a client violates Upwork ToS, then you may report that to Upwork.

But if a client asks you to do something that is unethical by your standards or local laws/customs (such as working on the Sabbath, exporting baby formula, or promoting beef), then that would only be between you and the client.

If you have a question about whether or not you can REPORT a client for something, you're always welcome to ask about it specifically in the Forum. If you simply ask about reporting something "unethical", but you don't tell me what it is, then my answer will always be "no." Because different people have different beliefs, ethics, customs, rules, laws, etc.

Preston, you made a good point about personal ethics versus business ethics. I probably wasn't clear in my post because I wasn't even thinking about personal ethics.

I appreciate your help. 

Thanks Phyllis! I always take a strong stand with professional ethics as well. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members