🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What do you do when you're not sure of cl...
Page options
tomzilla1
Community Member

What do you do when you're not sure of client feedback?

In cases where the client ended the contract without informing you, but previously they enjoyed working with you and even left you a great review before, what do you do? I've had a case where clients went on vacation, and then communication wasn't that great (they weren't available), then they end the contract. What would you do in that case? Do you leave a feedback for them? Or do you just leave it. Can you provide a "freelancer's response" after the 14 day? 

5 REPLIES 5
madison-russell
Community Member

I would leave honest feedback about working with the client during the actual job itself. So if communication was great during the entire job, but then at the very end communication stopped, then just say that overall communication was excellent. Leaving feedback always looks better than not, and if you enjoyed working with the client then you owe it to them.

Also, just a side note. After every contract I have ends, if I truly enjoyed working with the client, I send them a message thanking them and letting them know I would love to work with them in the future. I have gotten many repeat jobs this way.

lysis10
Community Member

Meh I wouldn't care. I'd just leave it alone. But I never respond to feedback cuz I don't really care unless it's a dispute and then I use the perk.

If you think it's bad for some reason, it's better to leave it alone to give you 14 days to close contracts and push it down your profile.

tlsanders
Community Member

Why would client feedback impact your feedback? The whole point of the double-blind process is to ensure that it doesn't. Just tell the truth.

A client may end a contract at any time. For any reason. Or for not reason at all.

A client ending a contract without notifying me first doesn't force me to do any more work. And it doesn't deprive me of any payment for work that I've already done. It doesn't violate any Upwork rules.

I would leave honest feedback about my experience. Probably positive feedback, in the situation the original poster described.

The client may come back a month later and want to hire me again to do more work. Less likely to do that if I blast them in feedback complaining that they didn't send me a note before closing the contract.

Preston H wrote:

The client may come back a month later and want to hire me again to do more work. Less likely to do that if I blast them in feedback complaining that they didn't send me a note before closing the contract.

Very important point, this. Many a freelancer have lost out on future contracts because of leaving poor feedback when such was not absolutely necessary.

They would later apply to a job that same client posts in the future; how on earth do they expect such client to hire them again?

I leave negative feedback (and this very rarely) when my experience with a client was terrible through and through, I know I would never want to work with them again, and I feel other freelancers ought to hear my terrible experience before deciding to work whether to work with them.

In most cases, if it's a not so good experience (but not bad either), I might decide to not leave any feedback at all, because of tomorrow. Don't want to burn too many bridges, haha

In the end it's your choice to make.(to leave or not to leave, +/- feedback).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members