🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What do you see if the freelancer doesn't mee...
Page options
nhansen
Community Member

What do you see if the freelancer doesn't meet all your requirements?

If a freelancer doesn't meet all the requirements you set for the job (e.g. location), how does their proposal appear vis-a-vis other proposals that do? I seem to recall reading somewhere that they appear under a different tab? I'm a freelancer but I don't find any good, illustrated information about what the cient sees when reviewing applications.

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nicole: you should set up a client aspect for your Upwork account, and then post some jobs and hire some freelancers. This is the best way to become familiar with how things are for clients.

Hmm, first off I posted this thread in the clients forum as I thought it would actually get more answers there, but someone has moved it here.

Secondly, I would have to say Preston's suggestion is telling me to do something rather dishonest. I don't need to hire any freelancers so why should I create a job, waste other freelancers' time and connects on a fake job appplication just to figure out how things work for myself? That's not a very nice thing to do to my fellow freelancers and would be rather seflish.

I was hoping someone could point me to somewhere that the interface was explained or even shown in screenshots.

Nicole:

Why do you think it is dishonest to hire freelancers on Upwork?

I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. I often hire many freelancers through the same job posting. Doing so has helped me become a better, more successful freelancer. You don't need to hire many. Even if you post just one job and hire only one freelancer, you will learn a lot.

I don't have a 4.99 rating as a client because I did anything "dishonest".

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 7.52.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 7.57.01 AM.png

Why do you think it is dishonest to hire freelancers on Upwork?

Because she doesn't have an actual job. 

re: "Because she doesn't have an actual job."

Hmm... I did not advise her to post a fake job. It is important to understand that my advice was to post a job AND hire a freelancer.

If you post a job without hiring you only learn a limited amount about the client experience. And doing so would be dishonest. Of course nobody should do that.

She may not be aware of all the ways that Upwork freelancers can help clients.

The variety and depth of knowledge of Upwork freelancers is actually quite amazing.

I have to agree with Robin. Why should I set up a new account, put in all the details and potentially expose that info on the internet just to get an answer to a question from someone who has direct experience.

I find Preston's attempt at help lacking. If you has a client account, why can't he just answer the question? I would be the amount of typing to give the answer was much shorter than the advice to get an account and then defending the idea of doing it.

Robert and Nicole:

I definitely believe you can learn a lot and benefit by hiring freelancers. Setting up a client aspect to your Upwork account is simple and free.

But to answer the very specific original question:

All proposals that freelancers send in to jobs ARE presented to clients. Even if a freelancer does not meet specified criteria. (Such as minimum JSS score or geographic location or number of hours worked.)

If the job proposal is allowed to go through, then it shows up in the client's proposal list.

BUT (as Nicole surmised) it might now show up in the same way. It could be "hidden" in such a way that the client needs to click a "disclose" button to show "more" proposals. Officially Upwork does not refer to these proposals as "hidden." But they don't automatically show up on the client's screen unless the client does something extra to see them. So it's up to you if you want to use the word "hidden" or not.

But this isn't all "cut and dry" simple. Exactly how prominently job proposals show up, and where they show up, and the order they show up, depends on how many other proposals a client receives, and it depends on the over all degree to which proposals and proposing freelancers "match" the job posting and match Upwork's criteria for placement.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't be able to tell you EXACTLY how a job proposal would show up based on a specific set of criteria it "doesn't meet." I don't think anybody would be able to tell you that.

The best I could tell you is:

If you think that you are a good fit for a job, regardless of any "criteria", then submit a proposal

But keep in mind:

The fewer job proposals a job receives, the more prominent your proposal will appear.

Preston H wrote:

Robert and Nicole:

I definitely believe you can learn a lot and benefit by hiring freelancers. Setting up a client aspect to your Upwork account is simple and free.

Preston, 

Nicole

Does

Not

Have

Any

Reason

To

Hire

A

Freelancer.

Please do request further clarification just in case that wasn't clear enough.

kbadeau
Community Member

omg Petra you crack me up. Don't ever change.

While I can agree with Preston that it could be of value for us to have firsthand knowledge of the client/hiring procedure, it's also all I can do to get my work done and scrounge for new work if I need it. I don't have time to set up a client account and I can't imagine what I would hire/pay someone to do (except invoicing. And Upwork does that for me, thank goodness).

I too would just love to see a screenshot of a client's page(s) of submitted proposals and "hidden" proposals, especially given that connects now cost money.

I too would just love to see a screenshot of a client's page(s) of submitted proposals and "hidden" proposals, especially given that connects now cost money.

Me too!! 

I would like to suggest a broader set of screenshots, covering various steps the client sees. I always wondered what happens if I modify my proposal fee. Does the client get a new notification? Do they even know?

This would be a good series for one of the Uwork training sessions for all freelancers to see. Also, to be fair, why not do the same for the process freelancers go through to show the clients what we do?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members