cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think about 20% service fee?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 57

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Btw, I was referring to the "Help > Submit Feedback" feature at the bottom of the page, which directs to AOL, not the normal "Feedback" button.

When I click on it, it gives me a form as expected. What am I missing?

feedback.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 57

If you click the help button on the bottom right corner, you see a form but if you hover over the submit link it points to aol.com lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
33 of 57

@Jennifer M wrote:

If you click the help button on the bottom right corner, you see a form but if you hover over the submit link it points to aol.com lol

Actual code looks like this:

submit.png

They need to change href from aol.com to either '#' or 'javascript:void(0);'

ETA: somehow cannot get forum to display a colon after javascript Cat Frustrated

Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
34 of 57

@John K wrote:

Actual code looks like this:

submit.png

They need to change href from aol.com to either '#' or 'javascript:void(0);'

ETA: somehow cannot get forum to display a colon after javascript Cat Frustrated

You know the dev was like "meh I'll just put aol as a placeholder. Nobody will see it. And if it gets past QA not my problem!" Problem is that I don't think they have qa lol.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Abbey B Member Since: May 14, 2016
35 of 57

I agree with everyone else here: it's a lot and the site has its fair amount of issues while creating random things nobody needs like a map on U.S. profiles (my clients know how to use Google). 

But the truth is that if you're running a business and trying to set up the price/fee of a service, you do it by figuring out how much you can charge without losing profit. If they had a 10% fee while 100,000 freelancers are earning $100,000, they're earning $10,000. If they had a 20% fee while 50,000 freelancers are earning $50,000, they're still earning $10,000 and I doubt they would lose that many freelancers/clients from that fee increase. They're also going to be more concerned about the big earners and the big spenders, which is why they have it set up so the fee decreases the more you work with the same client. 

tl;dr: I don't like it, but it's microeconomics.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
36 of 57

Abbey, your assumptions are way off. Freelancers who earn $50,000-100,000 are very unlikely to ever reach that point by doing tiny jobs that would be billed at 20%. Since the fee drops to 10% after Upwork has received no more than an extra $50, the typical $100,000 freelancer might pay Upwork an extra $1,000 or so in a year, not double what he or she would have been paying before.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
37 of 57

To go back to the original  topic, I've heard that Elance used to charge 10%. Is that true? 

Is the service Upwork offers twice better than the service Elance used to offer?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
38 of 57

@Luce N wrote:

1) To go back to the original  topic, I've heard that Elance used to charge 10%. Is that true? 

2) Is the service Upwork offers twice better than the service Elance used to offer?

1) it was 8.75 if I remember correctly

2) not a logical question. Think about it?  A Company that still exists and facilitates the making of money is 100% better than one which went out of business.

Upwork is not Elance. Upworkmis essentially oDesk with a few nuts and bolts.

A company whose business model failed is by definition not better than the one that didn't fail.

And more successful freelancers on Upwork don't pay twice as much in fees, because they foster long term relationships with their clients and end up earning more than they did previously, because they built the increase into their rates and then end up with MORE in their pockets when the fee drops to 10% and even more when it drops to 5%

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
39 of 57

OK, Petra. So was was the percentage charged by Odesk?

From what I understood, Upwork is the result of a merge of Elance and Odesk. I'm I right?

Highlighted
Emily C Member Since: Jun 1, 2019
40 of 57

IT'S DISGUSTING!

I thought you'd be charged the 20% of the first $500 you receive with ANY client.  Once you received $500 total from clients, the rate would drop to 10%.  I am dumbfounded anyone would even use this platform. Upwork is making millions off the backs of hard working individuals.  I'm deleting my account on here.  They can shove it

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS