cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think about 20% service fee?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 60

@Shams A wrote:

Upworks pricing and fee structure is extortion in my opinion.

"Extortion?" - Maybe you have no idea what the word means. Nobody is forcing you to work on Upwork.

@Shams A wrote:

And your chance of getting interviewed is always low  (trust me it always is. doesnt matter how top rated you are!) so you'll just keep on bidding thinking I'll get the next job for sure!  and now you got a plus plan? great! those connects will end quickly too!

Nonsense. Maybe if you used your connects more intelligently and made your proposals better, you'd be interviewed more.

Many people on the platform don't use any connects at all. Most have never bought a connect. The last time I have used a connect was in November...

@Shams A wrote:

the whole thing just makes me sick!

Well, luckily for you you don't have to work here and are free to close your profile and use another platform.

The fee is only 20% for the first $ 500 with any client, it then drops to 10% and then to 5%. So if you've built the fee into your price and rate from the start (which is what anyone with any sense does) you actually earn more after $ 500 and more again after $ 10.000.

If you are not building business costs into your prices, you may not be ready to freelance.

If your business model does not allow you to build costs into your rates, rethink your business model.

Either way, wailing and whining doesn't achieve anything.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
22 of 60

I hate any fee that anyone imposes on me, so I'd probably be complaining even if it was 10% or 5% or 0.2%.

But here's what could help you overcome this deduction:

1. Upwork doesn't set your rates - you do. If you want to earn $13 per hour, add up the fee, add up the exchange rate or taxes, and charge the rate that leaves you with $13 after all the deductions. It's that simple.

2. If you're selling a service that no one will want to buy at your new rates, sell a different service. Take time to research the market, see what works and what doesn't, see if there are any popular, in-demand skills that you're capable of developing and specializing in. Then come back to Upwork and start selling those skills. 

(It's never too late to learn something new)

3. While Upwork will take $100 out of the $500 you earn here, you'll be left with $400 that you would not have earned, at all, if it wasn't for Upwork.

Bottom line is that Upwork isn't for everyone. Some skills work here, some skills don't. So when you stop selling cheap services (and stop selling valuable services for peanuts), you'll stop caring about the fees.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 60

What Ines said ... Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
24 of 60

While I feel 20% is too high, I'd be less upset about it if, in return, we received a stable platform whose basic functions WORK. 

I'm grateful for Upwork, but not grateful for the fact that it continues to focus on unneeded and unrequested "features" instead of fixing bugs, fixing CS, keeping the site up, etc.

Highlighted
Community Guru
25 of 60

You have to find a way to cope with things you can't control.

I bought a stress ball. Upwork's devs are doing wonders for my muscles.

Highlighted
Community Guru
26 of 60
I had 3 stress balls. Two are destroyed and the last one's no fun Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Community Guru
27 of 60

I'll send you mine as soon as I can see the map on your profile and pinpoint your location.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
28 of 60

Hello Isabelle,

Thank you for sharing your opinion here with us. Please keep in mind that we are working continuously to improve our platform to serve you guys better. Additionally, you can leave us a feedback at the bottom most part of the page when you are logged in to your account at our website.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 60

@Ryan C wrote:

Hello Isabelle,

Additionally, you can leave us a feedback at the bottom most part of the page when you are logged in to your account at our website.

No we can't!! The "submit feedback" button still directs to the AOL website like someone complained about a while ago!

This is exactly what I'm talking about ... Smiley Indifferent

Highlighted
Community Guru
30 of 60

(Forum is broken too - it showed Isabelle's last name)@ Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Ryan C wrote:

Hello Isabelle,

Additionally, you can leave us a feedback at the bottom most part of the page when you are logged in to your account at our website.

No we can't!! The "submit feedback" button still directs to the AOL website like someone complained about a while ago!

This is exactly what I'm talking about ... Smiley Indifferent

*squeezes stress ball frantically*

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS