cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think about 20% service fee?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
41 of 60

OK, Petra. So was was the percentage charged by Odesk?

From what I understood, Upwork is the result of a merge of Elance and Odesk. I'm I right?

Highlighted
Emily C Member Since: Jun 1, 2019
42 of 60

IT'S DISGUSTING!

I thought you'd be charged the 20% of the first $500 you receive with ANY client.  Once you received $500 total from clients, the rate would drop to 10%.  I am dumbfounded anyone would even use this platform. Upwork is making millions off the backs of hard working individuals.  I'm deleting my account on here.  They can shove it

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
43 of 60

Guess you should have read the information available about the site before you jumped it.  In my field, other platforms charge up to 40%.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
44 of 60

Emily C wrote:

IT'S DISGUSTING!

I thought you'd be charged the 20% of the first $500 you receive with ANY client.  Once you received $500 total from clients, the rate would drop to 10%.  I am dumbfounded anyone would even use this platform. Upwork is making millions off the backs of hard working individuals.  I'm deleting my account on here.  They can shove it

People use the platform because it's profitable. Seems like maybe you figured that out, since you dramatically announced your exit several hours ago and your profile is still active.

We've already covered the fact that Upwork is making no money at all in another thread.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
45 of 60

Tiffany S wrote:

People use the platform because it's profitable. Seems like maybe you figured that out, since you dramatically announced your exit several hours ago and your profile is still active.

We've already covered the fact that Upwork is making no money at all in another thread.

You mean she didn't really leave? I am SHOCKED. This is my shocked face.

Highlighted
Community Guru
46 of 60
Jennifer M. wrote:

You mean she didn't really leave? I am SHOCKED. This is my shocked face.

Are you SPEECHLESS? I hear that's going around.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
47 of 60

re: "We've already covered the fact that Upwork is making no money at all in another thread."

I believe that these reports are accurate.

But I'm not sure what to think about it...

I mean... Upwork is the current incarnation of Elance (founded 1999) and oDesk (founded 2003).

So the way I see it, Upwork (including its predecessor incarnations) has been around for TWENTY YEARS.

So... If it

a) has never made a profit

b) has sometimes made a profit

c) has actually made a profit but has convinced people it hasn't made a profit

...then does that really impact me? I'm making a profit. I appreciate the site.

Year after year I keep money by hanging around here.*

So regardless of what these reports say, I'm not altering my behavior in any way based on them. I'm not even altering what I think about Upwork.

If they've been around for 20 years, I don't see any reason to panic due to some FCC filing or whatever it is.

* By "here" I mean Upwork, not the Forum. Because obviously I lose massive amounts of money by hanging out in the Forum instead of working.

Highlighted
Community Guru
48 of 60

Preston H wrote:

If they've been around for 20 years, I don't see any reason to panic due to some FCC filing or whatever it is.

Where did you get the idea that anyone was panicking? Every single time Upwork's negative bottom line is mentioned, it is in response to drama from someone talking about how Upwork is REAPING HUGE PROFITS and GETTING RICH by exploiting freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
49 of 60

I guess I'm the wrong "target audience" for complaints about companies getting rich.

If a company is getting rich, I assume that is a good thing.

Because it means that the company is providing goods or services that people value.

If Upwork is exploiting me, then I hope to go on being exploited for many years to come.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
50 of 60

'Bye, Felicia.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS