🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What does the percentage of Hire Rate mea...
Page options
irieislandgirl
Community Member

What does the percentage of Hire Rate mean?

Hey freelancer peeps! 

This may be a silly question but does the percentage of Hire Rate pertain to us as the freelancer or the clients' percentage of hiring a freelancer? I just want to be clear.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hire Rate indicates what percentage of times a client actually hires freelancers, out of the number of jobs they posted.

This has nothing to do with you as a freelancer.

But it can help you decide if you should apply to a client's jost posting.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 7.46.02 AM.png

[In the example above, we see a "78% Hire Rate", for a client who has posted 18 jobs. That means that this is a serous client, who usually hires people when he posts jobs. What if he had posted 18 jobs and had a 0% hire rate? Or 5% hire rate? Very low numbers like that would indicate your probably aren't going to get a job by applying to this client's job posting.]

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hire Rate indicates what percentage of times a client actually hires freelancers, out of the number of jobs they posted.

This has nothing to do with you as a freelancer.

But it can help you decide if you should apply to a client's jost posting.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 7.46.02 AM.png

[In the example above, we see a "78% Hire Rate", for a client who has posted 18 jobs. That means that this is a serous client, who usually hires people when he posts jobs. What if he had posted 18 jobs and had a 0% hire rate? Or 5% hire rate? Very low numbers like that would indicate your probably aren't going to get a job by applying to this client's job posting.]

How do you judge it if the client is new to Upwork?

Melinda M wrote:

Well the only way is if it was they only have one posted job and you are looking at it.  It's not a very good indicator because they could have lots of experiencing with Upwork but could have switched companies or something like that.

Otherwise everything else is a guess.

I personally do not care if they are new to Upwork and I could make an argument that I prefer it.

tlbp
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Melinda M wrote:

Well the only way is if it was they only have one posted job and you are looking at it.  It's not a very good indicator because they could have lots of experiencing with Upwork but could have switched companies or something like that.

Otherwise everything else is a guess.

I personally do not care if they are new to Upwork and I could make an argument that I prefer it.

New client + seasoned freelancer experienced with using Upwork is a good combo.
New client + inexperienced freelancer or freelancer unfamiliar with using Upwork is a very bad combo. 

Someone in the equation has to know what they are doing or things won't go smoothly, IMO. 

tlsanders
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Someone in the equation has to know what they are doing

This right here could eliminate the vast majority of problems that arise on Upwork.

I completely agree.

It can be easy for those of us who are experienced Upwork users to forget how complicated the Upwork system can be to people unfamiliar with it.

There are a lot of mistakes that can be made.

But for an experienced used, it's pretty simple to help a newbie work things out if they make some mistakes. As an experienced client, I regularly hire newbies alongside experienced freelancers. Some of the newbies make really basic mistakes, like not logging time at all. Experienced clients can spot that and tell them what they need to do.

Experienced freelancers can help out newbie clients who have no idea what they're doing.

Both new?

I remember the very first time I hired a freelancer. He was also new. He completed the work on an hourly project, and I closed the job, and he freaked out because he thought I was trying to rip him off because his payment was not showing up as "available." He didn't know about the waiting period and automatic payment process, and I was afraid something was wrong, and we were both contacting Customer Support. We were both so ignorant of basic Upwork concepts!

I can look back at that incident and laugh now. But that event helps remind me that Upwork can be confusing to first-timers.

Preston H wrote:

I completely agree.

It can be easy for those of us who are experienced Upwork users to forget how complicated the Upwork system can be to people unfamiliar with it.

There are a lot of mistakes that can be made.

But for an experienced used, it's pretty simple to help a newbie work things out if they make some mistakes. As an experienced client, I regularly hire newbies alongside experienced freelancers. Some of the newbies make really basic mistakes, like not logging time at all. Experienced clients can spot that and tell them what they need to do.

Experienced freelancers can help out newbie clients who have no idea what they're doing.

Both new?

I remember the very first time I hired a freelancer. He was also new. He completed the work on an hourly project, and I closed the job, and he freaked out because mycfavisit he thought I was trying to rip him off because his payment was not showing up as "available." He didn't know about the waiting period and automatic payment process, and I was afraid something was wrong, and we were both contacting Customer Support. We were both so ignorant of basic Upwork concepts!

I can look back at that incident and laugh now. But that event helps remind me that Upwork can be confusing to first-timers.

It's not a very good indicator because they could have lots of experiencing with Upwork but could have switched companies or something like that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths