🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What does this mean?
Page options
glennharper
Community Member

What does this mean?

Got an offer to interview that looks a little iffy.  Grammar errors in the reply, asking me to connect offsite to discuss, etc.  Nothing totally blatant, but decided to be extra cautious when I talked with them today.  But then I get this message on my Messages screen:

*name withheld* does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored.

Does this mean that the person was a scammer  and has been removed by moderators?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Glenn H wrote:

Got an offer to interview that looks a little iffy.  Grammar errors in the reply, asking me to connect offsite to discuss, etc.  Nothing totally blatant, but decided to be extra cautious when I talked with them today.  But then I get this message on my Messages screen:

*name withheld* does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored.

Does this mean that the person was a scammer  and has been removed by moderators?

That's exactly what it means. As a new freelancer you will be targeted by scammers. You may want to read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Glenn H wrote:

Yes. Did they want to chat on google Hangout?

Yes. They asked for a google hangout.

Glenn H wrote:
Yes. They asked for a google hangout.

They wanted to send you a fake check.

One of the dumbest, oldest scams on the net but people seem to still fall for it.

mtngigi
Community Member

Glenn H wrote:

That's exactly what it means. As a new freelancer you will be targeted by scammers. You may want to read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

For the record:

I have no problems with clients whose writing includes grammar or spelling errors.

I have worked for clients who could barely speak English. As long as they can pay me through Upwork and convey to me what they want done, their imperfections when it comes to using the English language are fine.

The other things are red flags, though.

Preston,

Totally agreed.  Any one of those red flags may not have set off my radar, but combined they smelled "phishy."

Glenn 

Have read that already!  But definitly good advice!

Glenn

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths