Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

What exactly does 'as needed - open to offers' availability setting mean?

cdios
Active Member
Chris D Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
1 of 10

Hello all,

 

I'm not quite sure what 'as needed - open to offers' means for availability. Can someone break it down for me? 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 10

Chris D wrote:

Hello all,

 

I'm not quite sure what 'as needed - open to offers' means for availability. Can someone break it down for me? 


That's a very good question and I've always been confused about this myself. I usually keep my availability set to "more than 30 hours per week" because I wish to convey that I'm a full-time freelancer. To me, "as needed - open to offers" means that someone is perhaps not readily available (e.g. because they're a student or have a full time job), but they're willing to consider projects on an individual basis. But, I could be completely off-base. It would be interesting to hear how a client interprets this.

cdios
Active Member
Chris D Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
3 of 10
That's what I thought. I have 3-4 contracts right now, so I'm kind of
swamped and mostly booked up during the week. However, I'm still open to
projects that are one-off assignments, like articles, content, whatever. So
I turned mine down to "as needed - open to offers" but I'm not sure if
that's the right move or if I should just keep it on 'less than 30'.
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4 of 10

Chris D wrote:
That's what I thought. I have 3-4 contracts right now, so I'm kind of
swamped and mostly booked up during the week. However, I'm still open to
projects that are one-off assignments, like articles, content, whatever. So
I turned mine down to "as needed - open to offers" but I'm not sure if
that's the right move or if I should just keep it on 'less than 30'.

To be honest, I rarely change my availability even when I'm swamped; I want to keep my invitations coming in and I don't want clients to think that I only do this part-time. If there's a project that I really want to work on, I'll just fit people in during evenings and weekends - you've got to make hay while the sun shines. :-) 

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
5 of 10

I select "As Needed - Open to Offers" when I am not actively looking for jobs. 

romzyj
Active Member
Emmanuel A Member Since: Aug 6, 2019
6 of 10

mine is set to this same availability setting too, Could that be why i havent gotten any interview in the past 3 weeks? even with my 76% Job success score? am going to change it from that asap. Please i need help with a flexible proposal template for Web research and data entry Niche. I seriously need to work.

 

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
7 of 10

Emmanuel A wrote:

mine is set to this same availability setting too, Could that be why i havent gotten any interview in the past 3 weeks? even with my 76% Job success score? am going to change it from that asap. Please i need help with a flexible proposal template for Web research and data entry Niche. I seriously need to work.

 


I think you should just create your own thread rather than jump in the middle of someone else's and ask something like this.  I can tell you exactly how it will go but to see it for yourself you will need to create your own question.

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
8 of 10

I would point out that setting your availability status is qualifiers for being Top Rated but it is not clear to me how they review this or if it is an ongoing requirement.

 

This has been discussed before and I like Tiffany's answer:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/As-Needed-Open-to-Offers/m-p/172676/highlight/true#M9768...

 

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 10

I use "As needed" because it gives me leeway to accept jobs that interest me and to politely decline those that don't.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
10 of 10

Wendy C wrote:

I use "As needed" because it gives me leeway to accept jobs that interest me and to politely decline those that don't.


I do that anyway. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS