Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly is private feedback?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 39

Until just now I was convinced that private feedback provided by clients has to do with the "clients who would recommend you"-stats. 

Now I am beginning to wonder if it is even more private than that...

So, can somebody enlighten me as to what clients are being asked when prompted to leave this mysterious private feedback? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
BEST ANSWER
2 of 39

@Ela K wrote:

Until just now I was convinced that private feedback provided by clients has to do with the "clients who would recommend you"-stats. 

Now I am beginning to wonder if it is even more private than that...

So, can somebody enlighten me as to what clients are being asked when prompted to leave this mysterious private feedback? 

Thanks

The private section asks the client why the contract is being ended and if he or she would hire the freelancer again for a similar project. This section is not visible to the contractor or the oDesk community.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 39

Yes, that's what I thought. After today I wasn't sure anymore.

Thanks for clarifying.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 39

Ela, clients are also asked "how likely they would be to recommend the freelancer to a colleague" on a scale of 0 to 10. It's been confirmed by the moderators that a rating of less than 9 is viewed as unfavorable, and will impact the JS.

I believe that this score is responsible for most of the JS drops and freelancers might want to consider asking their client "how likely would you be to recommend me to a colleague" to prep them for the question before the contract ends. It's not allowed to ask for a specific rating, but I don't think clients are aware that they could destroy someone's future on oDesk by giving them an 8! (Which is like a B or B+ and surely not a bad rating!)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Donna M Member Since: Aug 28, 2012
5 of 39

@Krisztina U wrote:

Ela, clients are also asked "how likely they would be to recommend the freelancer to a colleague" on a scale of 0 to 10. It's been confirmed by the moderators that a rating of less than 9 is viewed as unfavorable, and will impact the JS.

I believe that this score is responsible for most of the JS drops and freelancers might want to consider asking their client "how likely would you be to recommend me to a colleague" to prep them for the question before the contract ends. It's not allowed to ask for a specific rating, but I don't think clients are aware that they could destroy someone's future on oDesk by giving them an 8! (Which is like a B or B+ and surely not a bad rating!)

Just a quick note on this there are many people that will not leave a 10 or 9 because they think that is perfection and will never leave it no matter how good the freelancer does they will never leave a 10 or 9 for anything restaurant review, movie review, book reviews it's just the type of people they are 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 39

@Donna M wrote:

@Krisztina U wrote:

Just a quick note on this there are many people that will not leave a 10 or 9 because they think that is perfection and will never leave it no matter how good the freelancer does they will never leave a 10 or 9 for anything restaurant review, movie review, book reviews it's just the type of people they are 

Well, 10 on a scale of 1-10 IS perfection. It's saying "It couldn't get any better".  That's a little fuzzier in the likely to recommend question, because there are so many factors that go into that and the real answer is probably often "it depends". But, with a general rating system, the lowest number is "the worst" and the highest "the best". So, if something could have been better, it wasn't a ten. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 39

@Krisztina U wrote:

Just to clarify further: the question is "how likely they would be to recommend the freelancer to a colleague". There are not 2 questions with the other one being "would you hire the freelancer again", right? 

It is excatly the same thing that freelancers are being prompted to answer when leaving feedback for a client.

Or am I mistaken?

Trust me, I have a reason to ask.

Thanks a lot.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 39

@Ela K wrote:

@Krisztina U wrote:

Just to clarify further: the question is "how likely they would be to recommend the freelancer to a colleague". There are not 2 questions with the other one being "would you hire the freelancer again", right? 

It is excatly the same thing that freelancers are being prompted to answer when leaving feedback for a client.

Or am I mistaken?

Trust me, I have a reason to ask.

Thanks a lot.

Ela, I do believe it's the same screen that freelancers see, but I am not 100% sure because as a freelancer, I've only had one contract close in years and I didn't pay much attention to the rating screen. I've closed more contracts from the client interface, and there is an additional subsection where we can select what we liked best about the freelancer (like communication, adherence to deadlines, skills etc.), but I don't remember the exact wording. I'll have a contract close soon, so if no one else jumps in with a reply, I'll post a screenshot later this week.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 39

"It's been confirmed by the moderators that a rating of less than 9 is viewed as unfavorable, and will impact the JS."

Well I hope the moderators are mistaken, because that is one of the most shocking and ridiculous things I've heard about the system yet.

I would be hesitant to score someone a 9 or 10! That's incredibly high and should be reserved for absolute superstars. But that doesn't mean a 7 or 8 isn't great!

It's no wonder my JS keeps fluctuating!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
10 of 39

Isabelle, the moderators are not mistaken. I've seen evidence of it in action...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS