swakefield

What exactly is the point of video verification?

Seriously you suspend my acocunt to 'verify' my profile supposedly because you have issues with fraudulent profiles and I get asked TWO questions to verify.

One in the text chat where I'm asked 'Whats My Name' The chat window has my full name on it, at the top of the page my full name is shown so even if I wasn't who I said I was its a question anyone could answer.

Then in the video chat I get asked a single question 'Verify my address'. To verify I had to login in my upwork account and could load the profile which has my address listed. So again what has that veriified.

Even more annoying is i've also had to submit id twice which has my details on it so they already have things proving my ID. 

Its a complete waste of everyones time seemingly only to justify upworks constant fleecing of us by increasing the amount we pay them. After all the more the fees go up the more they start to micromanage and get petty with things that waste our time and limit our ability to work. 

Rather than making your service more and more annoying to use why don't you put that effort in actually making this service better rather than the constant decline we have seen

5 REPLIES 5
yitwail

Simon, those questions they ask are a formality. The real purpose of video verification is to confirm that your profile picture and English proficiency are genuine. There was a recently banned Rising Talent freelancer who was using the image of the actor son of an actor/politician father, for example, and unless he happened to really look like the actor or had a very convincing mask, video verification would have exposed him and perhaps a client wouldn't have lost $5k+.

@John K wrote:

Simon, those questions they ask are a formality. The real purpose of video verification is to confirm that your profile picture and English proficiency are genuine. There was a recently banned Rising Talent freelancer who was using the image of the actor son of an actor/politician father, for example, and unless he happened to really look like the actor or had a very convincing mask, video verification would have exposed him and perhaps a client wouldn't have lost $5k+.

Where did you find that reference about the actor? I'd like to read more about it

@yitwail

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Simon,

I'm sorry to hear you were frustrated by the verification process. It looks like you were able to complete it successfully in a short amount of time. You won't need to do it again in the future.

We wish we didn't have to introduce programs like this, but unfortunately, there are a number of fake and fraudulent profiles on the platform. That's why we are performing video verification of all existing freelancer profiles. So far it's been successful at helping to detect users who lie about their identity. The ultimate goal is to increase trust on the marketplace.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Simon,

I'm sorry to hear you were frustrated by the verification process. It looks like you were able to complete it successfully in a short amount of time. You won't need to do it again in the future.

We wish we didn't have to introduce programs like this, but unfortunately, there are a number of fake and fraudulent profiles on the platform. That's why we are performing video verification of all existing freelancer profiles. So far it's been successful at helping to detect users who lie about their identity. The ultimate goal is to increase trust on the marketplace.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

I've already had to submit TWICE my driving licence to prove who I am though. That has my photo, my address and my nationality (After all being English should basically be enough to verify I'm actually fluent in English). My driving licence has a different image on it to my profile here or my social media (which is linked)

And its not like I'm someone new. I've billed over $100k on oDesk/Upwork since 2008 and have worked 7,314 hours plus the countless number of fixed rate jobs. I also have a top rated badge. 

And if I was going to put fradulent information on my profile my photo would be the last thing I would focus on as I don't see how that would help 

And I would be less annoyed about it if your instant action wasn't to constantly treat us as guilty by suspending our accounts.  I might not have been able to do a video chat right now, maybe my camera was broken or something.yet my account would be suspended until I did. Apparently I could have done it by submitted scans of my documents again but that would have taken 3 days. Why not send us the warning that we need to verify and atleast give us a few days to sort that out before suspending especially when we are proven freelancers.   

Oh and I would also add that sure it didn't take a massive time to do the video chat but I did have to wait in a queue to get to the text chat part and then further time while my info was looked up. Also I had trouble even getting the button click to start, I had to try multiple devices. Luckerly the last one I tried did work otherwise I was screwed

i_pokorny

Video verification has a simple purpose, to make sure that the person that has submited the ID and is working on the platform is actually that person and not a friend/relative so on and to asses the English level placed on your profile.

How fail-safe is this? Of course it's not that hard to go by even if you are someone else and have the person listed near-by, but it's another step that lowers the fraud rate on the platform