cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What good is flagging a job or reporting it?

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 15

I flagged and reported a job because I was interviewed last week for a consultation job. The guy is trying to get free work from the people he has interviewed. He had over 12 he was interviewing last week including myself which now he has 8. 

When he interviewed me last Thursday via Skype and yes it is my fault for not recording the call, but he blantantly ask me what I thought of his software and how he could improve it. When I said I will be more then happy to discuss that with you once you hire me. He got flustered and changed the conversation and said he would be sending me out an invite for the job on Friday. Which by the way never happened.

I waited till Tuesday and withdrew my application as I felt he was trying get free work on the job by interviewing. The guy was doing a consultation for software for a specific area which you wouldn't really interview for as that is what a consultation is.

Anyways, I reported it as he as of today still has not hired anyone and several have withdrawn their applications as he is down to 8 listed for interviewing. 

He has hired previously for a couple  jobs, so I figured it would be alright. But as of today he still has not hired anyone.

So I reported it and got basically told since I couldn't prove it nothing that Upwork could do.

I would like to know then what the point of having the option for flagging a job is when someone is asking for free work? Is flagging not anon and proof is not expected with flagging?

Mind you my response to Trust and Safety was not my problem. I was just reporting it. Upwork is the one losing money because he is doing this not me. I was not stupid enough to fall for his questions about his software and only wasted 10 minutes of my time interviewing.

But Upwork why do you have this option for flagging if you don't want to do anything about it without proof? What good is flagging? What good is reporting it?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 15

Hi Suzanne,

I understand it is frustrating for you. However, once the Marketplace Quality team receives reports of violation or abuse whether it's through flagging or through a support ticket, they carefully review the account reported. Actions are taken if they have recorded evidence of a violation. However, if such evidence is not present, they can't take actions against the account.

Thank you for understanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork
suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
3 of 15

So what is the point to flagging? You guys are the ones losing money cause the idiot is interviewing and getting information for free posting a job on a consultation. I mean it seems kind of stupid to have a flagging system if it does not good to flag. How would get information from someone flagging? Anyone can flag a post. 

And I will tell you the same thing Valeria, not a big deal to me. It is Upwork losing money not me because you can't be bothered.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
4 of 15

Hi Suzanne and Pandora,

Cody described the reasons why not every flagged post gets removed right away really well.

When a post is flagged, the team reviews the post itself and if there are such things as links to bad sites, contact information, attached malware or requests to do actions that violate any website's policies, the posting is removed. Additionally, the team reviews the content of invitations to apply or interviews available in the Messages. If all the communication during the interview was held not on Upwork, the team may need screenshots, records or transcrips of such communication where the client, for example, suggested paying outside of Upwork or requested free work.

I hope this helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork
fluentinspanish
Community Leader
Mikila S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
5 of 15

@Valeria

I feel the same way..a bit.

There's this client who posts the same kinds of jobs on a regular basis and he is basically asking for free work.

I flagged the job he posted this morning and the one he posted this afternoon.

Client has posted 11 jobs so far. No hires. No verified payment method. He attaches the document to the job posting which, btw, is in Spanish.  (the ones he currently has open don't have the attachment though).

**edited for Community Guidelines**

People are wasting their connects on this. Yes, we as freelancers should exercise due diligence and clients should do the "right" thing but Upwork also has the responsiblity to maintain ensure the integrity and safety of this platform for freelancers and clients alike.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
6 of 15

Hi Maliki,

Thank you for pointing it out. I have checked and the job postings have already been closed and the client has been warned. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
fluentinspanish
Community Leader
7 of 15

Hi Valeria

Thanks for responding but I'm shocked.

This client has engaged in this predatory behaviour multiple times, 11 times to be exact and all he gets is a warning?!

Wow! Upwork seems to go hard at freelancers and play softy-softy with clients.

xahntra
Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
8 of 15

Maliki,

I had flagged many job posts by that same client. I opened a ticket about it and talked to support. I guess that's why they've been warned because I don't think flagging did anything.

Now there's another one who keeps sending me invites and nothing is done, asking for people with an ebay account to sell on their name, offering thousands of pounds a month.  Many times I've been invites to similar job posts, under different names. Shouldn't Upwork ban the IP or something?

Marissa

fluentinspanish
Community Leader
9 of 15

@Valeria

The client seems to have opened a new account and is back at it. Yes, I flagged the job. I also spoke with live chat about this and gave them the link to the job.

Why doesn't Upwork word harder to rid the site of these kinds of clients?

**edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
10 of 15

Thanks for reporting this posting, Maliki. I will follow up with the team about it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS