cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen if upwork support misguides you on something and you lose your money because of that ?

firescue17
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
11 of 43

Classic "help."

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
12 of 43

This thread makes for especially interesting reading in light of an experience I had just three days ago. It is not directly parallel, but is relevant.

After rodents ate the wiring in two of our vehicles (long story -- would be TL;DNR), my husband and I found ourselves in a position to purchase a replacement/newer car. We did much research and due diligence for about a month. Ultimately, we ended up at a local dealership with which we have done business previously. Went back and forth, test-driving, etc., over the course of several days. When I showed the salesman the prices on the exact-same (model, year, options, color) new cars being offered by a competitor 30 miles away, the salesman affirmatively mis-led me about these offers! Now, I cannot claim that the salesman did so knowingly, but the fact remains that this guy spent about five minutes showing me "proof" that the discounts I was showing to him (from the competitor dealership) applied only to 2017 models, not to 2018 models. I was surprised to discover this, because I am usually quite detail-oriented in my research, but the sales guy was convincing, and he showed me screenshots, etc.

When I discovered that the salesman had (either accidentally or else deliberately, either way) given me information that was completely inaccurate and misleading, I was able to "un-do" the written deal of the previous night. The general manager was pretty angry with me, but I think that he knew he was on very shaky legal ground (there are at least two cases that are relevant precedent, according to my attorney), and it took him only about 45 seconds to meet the competitor's discount, as they should have done in the first place.

Moral of my story? When I was financially disadvantaged due to false information provided by an agent of a company (in this case, a car dealership), the company was obliged to correct the financial disadvantage. In my case, it came to about $1500 in cost and sales tax.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 43

Put succinctly, Upwork is responsible for all advice given by their support staff. You were given incorrect instructions.  I'm not a lawyer although at least one person who has offered advice is -

Get an attorney if Upwork does not get you full satisfaction within a few days; because it is the weekend, staff is at a minimum and no decision maker is readily available.

Someone higher up U's food chain will have to understand they are on very shaky groundsU is responsible for comments and advice given by their employees - including FLers on their payroll.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 43

Sorry about the confusion, Ali. Just to clarify, if the freelancer ends a fixed-price contract with funds in Escrow, they confirm that funds in Escrow will be returned to the client. I'll follow up with the agent you chatted with as well as their manager and we'll update you directly via the ticket that's currently open about this issue.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
firescue17
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
15 of 43

@Valeria K wrote:

Sorry about the confusion, Ali. Just to clarify, if the freelancer ends a fixed-price contract with funds in Escrow, they confirm that funds in Escrow will be returned to the client.

heh. Ali wasn't confused. He tried to correct the Upwork agent at least twice.

Considering the verification fiasco with another freelancer two weekends past, Upwork isn't really batting 1000 of recent.

I really, truly hope Upwork doesn't take a position of innocence on this matter. These aren't hypothetical grey areas muddled by perception. These are quantifiable issues of financial loss and damage to professional reputation.

aliasadullah106
Ali A Member Since: Dec 31, 2015
16 of 43

@Valeria K wrote:

Sorry about the confusion, Ali. Just to clarify, if the freelancer ends a fixed-price contract with funds in Escrow, they confirm that funds in Escrow will be returned to the client. I'll follow up with the agent you chatted with as well as their manager and we'll update you directly via the ticket that's currently open about this issue.

Thank you.

The ticket is not even showing up anymore to me. Can you confirm if it's still alive **Edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
17 of 43

Ali,

You have one open ticket about this issue and the team will be updating you via that ticket once they finalize their review of the situation. Any additional tickets and chats about the same issue may be merged into that ticket to keep all the pertaining information in one place.  

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
aliasadullah106
Ali A Member Since: Dec 31, 2015
18 of 43

@Valeria K wrote:

Ali,

You have one open ticket about this issue and the team will be updating you via that ticket once they finalize their review of the situation. Any additional tickets and chats about the same issue may be merged into that ticket to keep all the pertaining information in one place.  

Thanks!

The ticket you are reffering to me neither opens up here nor shows up in My Requests section. When I click on your provided link it shows me Page has moved please see the attached screenshot.  I have tried clearing browser caches as well tried different browsers different computer, from mobiles, from Wifi and 4G as suggested by upwork staff but nothing helped me to see the ticket again. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
19 of 43

Sorry about that, Ali. We'll make sure you are updated directly via a support ticket and email in the next 24 hours.

We appreciate your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
20 of 43

Ali - If Upwork told you incorrectly AND you DO have a written transcript of that misguided advice, then Upwork should pay you as Upwork is responsible for the actions of their employees. That's a given. No questions about that.

I read the transcript, and it's clearly shown that you asked a number of times, about what will happen, and repeadly told them about your concern and the rep told you differently. When Anyone contacts customer service, they expect correct advice. It would be one thing if you didn't have those transcripts, but you have written evidence that is indisputible.

As said above, if Upwork doesn't come through with paying you please get a lawyer.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS