cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen if upwork support misguides you on something and you lose your money because of that ?

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
21 of 43

Ali:  This is outside of you getting money from Upwork.  But here is a suggestion;  If it was some kind of coding work that has your 'foot print' i.e. comment lines or something that shows you did the coding and if the buyer has used that site or APP with your code you can send a "Take Down" notice to the hosting company or in case of an APP if that was dowloadeble from Google or Apple stores.  It is very simple just google the word "take Down" notice and you will get free templates

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
22 of 43

Some time ago I stumbled across a blog post written by a disgruntled former Upwork freelancer. In the post, the writer claimed that he has "conclusive" proof that when he ran into ToS violations by a client  that led to him losing money, he was given incorrect/misleading advice/information by a CS agent that turned out to be teenager working on a phone from her mother's house. 

I am not sure that one should set too much (or any) store by such allegations, but sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder if there might be some truth to such stories. 

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
23 of 43

heh...would be interesting to see how this one pans out...hope OP keeps us informed.

aliasadullah106
Ali A Member Since: Dec 31, 2015
24 of 43

Update is that Upwork has hide the ticket from my requests and it's no more showing up in My Request. I'm not sure if it's a technical fault as I talked to support and they are saying it showing up to them. But this worries me more and looks like upwork is not gonna do something about it Smiley Sad

aliasadullah106
25 of 43

Even though I have talked to other support guys and they have merged the discussion into the actual ticket. Which is not showing up anymore. 
The actual ticket was **Edited for Community Guidelines** which shows me "Page moved" when I click on it. 

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
26 of 43

Curious.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
27 of 43

Ali, ALL discussions are (should be) listed in your CS communications.  Open and closed tickets. If your ticket has disappeared from the full list my quess is that something is amiss. Gravely so.

@ Valeria, U. tells us to close jobs when clients disappear.  How does this jibe with your comment about  "closing jobs issues a client refund'?  APPLICABLE ONLY TO FIXED PRICE JOBS -  and in terms of charge back potential?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 43

Wendy,

If the work was completed and all payments were made, we usually recommend that the freelancer reaches out to the client and asks them to close the contract if they don't plan to use the contract any time soon. If the client doesn't reply in a while, freelancer can close the contract themselves. In Ali's case, the final payment wasn't yet released.

You may refer to Upwork ToS (section 6.4 and ) for general information about how chargeback may affect funds in Escrow or released from Escrow. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
aliasadullah106
29 of 43

@Valeria K wrote:

Wendy,

If the work was completed and all payments were made, we usually recommend that the freelancer reaches out to the client and asks them to close the contract if they don't plan to use the contract any time soon. If the client doesn't reply in a while, freelancer can close the contract themselves. In Ali's case, the final payment wasn't yet released.

You may refer to Upwork ToS (section 6.4 and ) for general information about how chargeback may affect funds in Escrow or released from Escrow. 

I wish the support guy also had refered to those *Upowrk ToS (section 6.4)* who was on payrol of upwork and specifically hired to file the disputes and guid us which he did other way around

aliasadullah106
30 of 43

@Valeria K wrote:

Wendy,

@Valeria 

Okay So I got an email reply from upwork 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Which means I lost the money to the negligence or Fraud by Upwork support

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS