🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What happened to my rising talent badge?
Page options
steve-d
Community Member

What happened to my rising talent badge?

Hello, 

I'm new to Upwork, as of last month, and am absolutely baffled as to what just happended to my rising talent badge. 

I have completed two jobs for clients and received 5 stars and extremely positive feedback. The last job was closed on Monday. I logged in this morning (Thursday) and still had my rising talent badge. Then, a couple of hours later, it was gone. 

Does anyone have any idea why this happened? I would be extremely surprised if the last client gave me anything other than full marks in the private feedback, given the level of satisfaction he expressed. 

This seems extremely arbitrary, so I would interested in why it happened. I have read the guidance on how the Rising Talent system works, but this does not shed any light. Thank you very much.

11 REPLIES 11

Thanks Noureldin, but I don't see anything in this thread that is not already explained in the Rising Talent guidance, which I have already read. 

I guess it's possible that I am bidding on work for which I am not deemed qualified, though this would be odd (I certainly have no inclinination or incentive to spend time writing bespoke cover letters for jobs that I'm unlikely to win).

The other possibility is that I am about to receive as JSS, but this seems unlikely given that I have only completed two jobs.

Noureldin, thanks - and yes, I understand the need to earn positive client feedback.

Though again, I would be extremely surprised if my last client gave me poor private feedback which, four days later, caused my RT status to disappear. Here is his public review:

"Stephen did a fantastic job. He went over and above what was required and produced great work. I'll use again. Recommended."

My previous client left a similar public review and paid me a ~50% bonus.

I have not started any other contracts / do not have any contracts which are not yet closed, so a lack of client feedback does not explain it either

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephen,

Rising Talent status is automatically applied to users whose profiles meet all of the requirements. You are on your way to get a Job Success Score, one of the requirements to earn and maintain Top Rated status. To get the Top Rated badge, you'll need to fulfill all of the requirements mentioned in this help article

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
steve-d
Community Member

Bojan, thank you but I still don't understand, based on the information you provided, why I have lost my Rising Talent profile. Can you clarify?

florydev
Community Member

Stephen D wrote:

Bojan, thank you but I still don't understand, based on the information you provided, why I have lost my Rising Talent profile. Can you clarify?

Because once you have a JSS you are no longer a rising talent.  It is likely you will have a 100% if you are correct and if you earn some more money you will get Top Rated when you have enough elligible weeks.  I am not sure that it is all that great either but it's better than a kick in the face.  

florydev
Community Member

Stephen D wrote:

Hello, 

I'm new to Upwork, as of last month, and am absolutely baffled as to what just happended to my rising talent badge. 

I have completed two jobs for clients and received 5 stars and extremely positive feedback. The last job was closed on Monday. I logged in this morning (Thursday) and still had my rising talent badge. Then, a couple of hours later, it was gone. 

Does anyone have any idea why this happened? I would be extremely surprised if the last client gave me anything other than full marks in the private feedback, given the level of satisfaction he expressed. 

This seems extremely arbitrary, so I would interested in why it happened. I have read the guidance on how the Rising Talent system works, but this does not shed any light. Thank you very much.

Not the expert...but maybe she will respond.  I think it is possible you are about to get your JSS score and that is why you lose RT.  I am not sure that losing RT is something to be concerned with, I am not sure how it really helps.  But I understand it is not transparent at all and neither is JSS so you are going to have to get used to it.

I personally try not to worry about it too much.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

That's pretty weird. You're right, you won't get a JSS yet with only two completed projects. This needs a Moderator's attention. There's a way to flag a post so a Mod sees it. I'm trying to find out how.

(As you probably already figured out, disregard advice offered by brand-new FL who has yet to land a contract.) 

Thank you Phyllis, it's at least nice to know that someone else finds it weird! I would love it if a mod was able to shed more light on this. 

I understand that unpredictability may just be a feature of Upwork that I have to live with ("Upwork giveth, Upworth taketh away"), but at it stands, something seems wrong with the system. 

It's possible one of those clients gave you less than stellar fb privately, but unlikely IMO since they went out of their way to ooh and ahh in public. I don't know what else might've made the RT badge go poof and so think it's more likely some kind of hiccup. At the same time, opinions are mixed about the value of the RT badge anyway. It's UW's way of encouraging new FLs but IMO, anybody with the qualifications who is hardheaded enough to really make a go of it here doesn't really need it. 

I did flag the thread, so Mod should be along eventually.

Thanks Phyllis, appreciated. 

mtngigi
Community Member

There us no rhyme or reason to RT badges - I've seen them on brand new profiles with absolutely no history of anything - we know Upwork has no way of determining someone's talent. Most of us never had the badge and have done just fine without it. Frankly, I wish they'do away with this program, since it's arbitrary at best.

Do good work and forget about the badge. And also know that many clients praise publicly, but "talk behind our backs" privately ... it's really not all that unusual, no matter how poetic they wax on our public profiles.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths