🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What happens if I cancel a project contract? ...
Page options
7ba56d1a
Community Member

What happens if I cancel a project contract? I haven't received THE requirement.

Hi! It's my first project order, and instead of attaching the script for the voice over as requested the client linked to a Google Doc that doesn't have the proper permissions set.

Not that Google is known for keeping the permissions you set, but....

The delivery clock's ticking and I don't have the most necessary requirement. After initiating the order/contract, while I was asleep, the client messaged me saying that if I had any questions about the script to email the writer (via Gmail) who's in the Philippines where it's now 2am.

I need the full delivery allotment of 2 days when I receive a finalized script. I've contacted support but may not get a reply in time, so I'm considering canceling the order before the clock runs out. What would happen?

6 REPLIES 6
penngrp
Community Member

Why not simply email the client right now and tell them you were not provided with the permissions required to open the documents.

7ba56d1a
Community Member

I don't have their email, unless there's something I've missed about Upwork (?).

I've messaged them within the site. I'm not confident that they'll respond, and promptly, because they already skipped a message I had about vocal direction. Plus, as I mentioned, they told me to email someone else about script questions. It seems like a situation where they aren't very communicative--as if they think they did everything they needed to do and won't be back until they expect the delivery.

penngrp
Community Member

I would email the person who's email you have, and then copy and paste that same email into the Upwork message to your client. This way you have a trail of all of your communications. If no one answers that is not your fault. 

7ba56d1a
Community Member

I don't see the copy/paste as being true proof of communication, though, plus as I mentioned, I need a full delivery time stated in the project once I receive the script. I also need the finalized script attached within the order for proof, as I've stated that my revision terms are based on finalized scripts.  The person I do have the email for lives in the Philipines, where it's 2:15am, and they're not the one who placed the order or who I'm binded to.

I did request for permission a couple of hours ago through Google's automated process, but haven't received a response.

I'm wondering what happens if I cancel a project contract.

penngrp
Community Member

If you copy and paste it into the Upwork message thread between you and the client it will act as proof of communication. You can only control when you send something, not when the receiver reads it. 

7ba56d1a
Community Member

Thank you, but, as expected CS is telling me that it's best to keep communications on Upwork, that the contract doesn't start until the client submits their requirements, and they have 48 hours to do it. I have sent them this twice showing that it's my 48-hour clock that's ticking, not the cleint's.

I need two days once I do get the script. If I don't get it then what?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members