cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What happens if I end a contract I haven't started working on yet?

yayannpaul
Paul Ryan L Member Since: Jun 15, 2016
1 of 12

Last Tuesday, I accepted an offer for an hourly job. Then while I was checking the existing project, I realized that I cannot do the tasks he had given. I have not started to log hours yet. What will happen if I end the contract? Will he be able to leave a negative feedback? And will that feedback be visible to future clients whom I'll apply for a job to? I really need help. Smiley Sad WIll it affect my JSS?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

@Paul Ryan L wrote:

I realized that I cannot do the tasks he had given. I have not started to log hours yet. 

1) Will he be able to leave a negative feedback?

2) And will that feedback be visible to future clients whom I'll apply for a job to? 

3) WIll it affect my JSS?

1) The client can leave internal, private feedback only

2) No

3) Yes

View solution in original post

yayannpaul
3 of 12

It's sad that it'll affect my JSS. The task was way off from the one described in the job post. Thanks Petra!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 12

Hi Paul,

I see Petra already addressed your questions, so I'll just point out that going forward you should discuss the job requirements in detail with the client before accepting the job.

Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 12

Paul:

You made a tactical mistake.

Here is why I never have this problem:

I never accept an hourly rate contract unless I know enough about the job to be certain that I can do at last ten minutes of work on the project.

Then, as soon as I accept the contract, I do at least ten minutes of work.

Ten minutes isn't a lot. But by doing at least that much work, I guarantee that I am paid something for the contract. That way I never have a zero-pay contract, and I don't encounter the negative impact that having such contracts can have on my Job Success Score.

yayannpaul
6 of 12

Preston,

But will they be not mad if I can't finish the task?

samuel-wilson
Ace Contributor
Samuel W Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
7 of 12

What you should do is tell the client you can't work on the project and explain them how you couldn't have known about it based on what was discussed. Hopefully they'll see it wasn't your fault and won't leave a bad private feedback.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 12

@yayannpaul wrote:

Preston,

But will they be not mad if I can't finish the task?

Whatever you do, do NOT log time on something you know you can not do.

I guess Preston meant your mistake was to take the contract without knowing enough about it.

You need to explain this to the client, if you have not already done so.

If you took the job last week you should have told the client immediately that you can't do it, not a week later, as that now means it's wasted a week of your client's time.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
9 of 12

Paul/Petra:

Thank you for you notes.

I do not accept any job until I have enough information to do some work on the contract. That way I don't have zero-pay contracts.

But, yes, as Petra said, of course I don't accept a contract I don't know how to do, either.

That goes without saying.

So Paul made a tactical mistake by accepting the job.

But what he does now is very simple.

He closes the contract himself and he sends a note to the client apologizing for having misunderstood the nature of the project.

There will be no negative feedback on the profile, because nothing was paid.

Don't worry about any negative private feedback. There's nothing you can do about it anyway, and it's just one job.

Honestly, your client has not paid you anything, and the sooner you do this, the sooner he can get on with working with other contractors who will do the work for him. He cares about this a lot less than you think, if he's a normal person. He may be annoyed, but he's a lot less annoyed than he would be if you did lousy work and billed him for it.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
10 of 12

A more nuanced situation is this:

A client asks you to work for him, and you accept, and you do some work, and then the client asks you to do something you don't know how to do.

There's nothing wrong with him asking.

It's an hourly contract, after all. But you just tell him that you don't know how to do that new thing. I work on MANY projects on which I'm not the only person working on the project. There is often a team of people with different areas of expertise.

It sounds like that's not what happened with Paul here: He agreed to a contract that he didn't know how to do any work on.

Just admit it, close the contract, and move on. When there is only one right thing to do, you need to do that thing, without worrying about any negative consequences that might happen.

And it's only one job. It will not make or break you. Nothing will appear on your public profile. And any impact on your Job Success Score will be something you can bounce back from.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS