cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I end a contract I haven't started working on yet?

yayannpaul
Paul Ryan L Member Since: Jun 15, 2016
11 of 12

Thank you for your replies.

What he wrote on the job description was very simple. Then he sends me a message and we started talking about the project. I might have thought that it was simple too that's why I accepted the job offer. Next thing that happens is he sends me the project, then I tried to study it a bit and figured out where I should start. The longer I spent time to learn about the existing project, the more I was convinced that it wasn't as simple as what we have talked about. That's why I said to myself that I'm not capable of doing this and decided to end the contract. I was afraid that I'd do a lousy job and he'd be billed. That would give him the right to give me a public negative feedback. I do agree that I might have wasted some of his time. I accepted the job last Tuesday, and now it's Thursday here so I wasted 2 days of his time.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 12

Paul, if I was the client, I would really appreciate your honesty about this and I would not be upset with you. Two days isn't that big a deal. You came to me pretty quickly about this and I can find someone else.

This situation does not actually happen to me as a client because I post complete, accurate job descriptions.

Usually when I post a job description, I include the complete description and the source files needed to complete the job. I rarely spend any time interviewing contractors or discussing the job, because they already have everything they need. This didn't happen in your case.

So there is something for both clients and contractors to learn from this situation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS