🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What happens if a client can't pay the hours ...
Page options
amaliagoyanes
Community Member

What happens if a client can't pay the hours because his payment method failed?

Hello guys, i want to ask you something that have been boddering me, just for curiosity.

Imagine that you are working in a hourly contract, and you did correctly the hours with the limit agreed in the contract.

But, when its time for be paid, and for some reason the client's credit Card failed, (maybe because he didn't have money inside) what happens to that client? ¿Upwork Will suspend his account because he can't paid the hours billed?

I know that i need to work always with a client's verified payment method, but i'm asking what happens to this client if he fails to Pay the hours.

¿The AAA can make any thing againts him? Or ¿what upwork does in this case? Or maybe the FBI?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Amalia:

This is a great question.

If one of MY CLIENTS' payment methods fails, and the client can't pay the hours, then UPWORK WILL PAY ME.

That is because I follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection.

This has actually happened to me. Only once or twice. But it has happened. Upwork paid me.

Following the rules is NOT hard. I try to always follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection.

- No manual time/use time-tracker desktop application

- Meaningful memos

- Screenshots show working on client's project

- Sufficient activity levels

- Client is payment-verified

re: "The AAA can make any thing against him?"

Um... No.

re: "Or maybe the FBI?"

No.

The FBI is not going to get involved with your Upwork payment problems.

The place to handle Upwork problems is on Upwork. Not the AAA, the FBI, the CIA, the police, or anywhere else, frankly.

I only find this searching for more info.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

My limited experience with this problem is the same as Preston's. Follow his advice in using the TimeTracker, but be especially reluctant to ever add manual hours in your work on an Upwork project.

A client never has any obligation whatsoever to ever pay you for manual hours you book, even if the client specifically agrees that you are "allowed" to add manual hours. (This has nothing to do with whether or not the client has a problem with his/her payment method. That is a completely different situation, though I'd expect Upwork will not pay you for any manual time on a contract when the client can't pay Upwork for any work time you've legitimately booked.)

If Upwork has to pay you when they are not being paid by the client, that is Upwork's "hour paid for an hour worked" guaranty to freelancers. It's probably one of the most important features of Upwork for at least some freelancers.

However, it is my experience Upwork will then go through your TimeTracker records to closely review all hours you have booked throughout the life of the project. This is where it will be vital that your memo for each time you use TimeTracker be clearly written so someone other than your client can understand it. For example, your memo might say something like, "Phone call re calc. def.", which your client Fred might have no problem understanding and would not contest when reviewing your TimeTracker records. But an Upwork investigator who knows little about your project might say tht wording does not create a sufficient explanation of the work you were doing at that time.

In that case, Upwork can disallow the time you booked using TimeTracker. You will not be told what has caused Upwork to make this decision nor can you object to it. Upwork will return to itself the payment you received for that work time and you will have no recourse to recoup that lost income.

Clear memos are indispensable to assuring full payment under hourly projects.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amalia, 

I checked the active hourly contract you have, and it looks like your client is yet to be charged for the hours you logged on the contract as you only started logging time this week. 

If you meet the requirements listed here you should be eligible for Hourly Protection.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks, but ¿if my client have been suspended, that will affect me? ¿i would'nt be able to withdraw funds, even that It wasn't my fault?.

This is just for curiosity, because i had good and terrible clients, and i don't want my profile to be affected for anyone's fault.

Amalia,

In my one experience with this situation back in 2017 (or maybe early 2018), I was paid in full by Upwork for hours tracked by TimeTracker, but got a notice from Upwork a short time later that Upwork was withdrawing money from my account in relation to this job because some of my memos on that projects were insufficient. I was never told which memos that judgment applied to and the money was taken out of my account by Upwork, somewhat (or totally?) compensating Upwork for having to pay me out of the client's shortfall in payments to Upwork.

The odd thing in this case was that the problem was caused by a problem with the client's credit card and the client replaced his payment method with a different valid credit card, which Upwork should have charged for the amount the client owed for the payment not taken on the previous card. Instead, Upwork just took the money back from me and never rebilled the client for the shortfall. It wasn't a massive amount of money, so I just chalked it up to being a "so that's how Upwork handles that problem" moment.

So if my client's credit card fails, ¿i have to paid the amount that he owes? Upwork makes me responsive of the client's fault? I'm not sure of this. 😕 

Hourly payment protection have covered me in some situations, but its because i won some disputes. But i'm affraid to pay for client's problems, i only want to work safety.

Upwork can make me pay the amount that client couldn't pay? And if i had already withdraw funds, i will have the due in my balance?  😕 

Thanks for your help.

Amalia G wrote:

So if my client's credit card fails, ¿i have to paid the amount that he owes? Upwork makes me responsive of the client's fault? I'm not sure of this. 😕 

No.

If your client does not pay for your hours, Upwork examins your work diary for the time that was not paid (only) and will pay you out of their own pocket for all such unpaid hours that fully comply with the terms of the protection (tracker, meaningful work memos, reasonable activity levels, only work-related screenshots.)

They will not pay for time segments that do not comply with the terms (low activity, no or not meaningful work memos, screenshots that show you doing non-work related stuff. manual work.)

Amalia G wrote:

Upwork can make me pay the amount that client couldn't pay? And if i had already withdraw funds, i will have the due in my balance?  😕 

They can take it back from you **IF** your hours were not logged according to the terms of the protection.

Amalia G wrote:

Hourly payment protection have covered me in some situations, but its because i won some disputes. But i'm affraid to pay for client's problems, i only want to work safety.

Thanks for your help.

No, as long as you meet the requirements for the Hourly Protection Upwork will pay you. If you received the payment from Upwork and it is then discovered, that you did not work on that project (watch YT, FB ect), the activity was too low, there is no memo etc. You might have to return the payment you received though you did not meet the requirements.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members