๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป What happens to my pending balance when a cli...
Page options
nikklaus16
Community Member

What happens to my pending balance when a client files for dispute

This question has been edited because too many people were against me before hearing from me properly atleast.

*New question*
A client released funds to me 3 days ago and the funds are still pending.
Now he wants a refund for no good reason and i am choosing to ignore it because i deserve the payment and i have done all i was meant to do.
He is threatening to file a dispute. I have 1 question.

1. Is my pending balance affected in anyway during the dispute process? I mean is the pending balance kept on hold or something
30 REPLIES 30
petra_r
Community Member


Edung D wrote:
A client released funds to me 3 days ago and the funds are still pending.
Now he wants a refund for no good reason and i am choosing to ignore it

Very bad idea. You do not, ever, ignore an unhappy client.

 


Edung D wrote:

1. Is my pending balance affected in anyway during the dispute process? I mean is the pending balance kept on hold or something
2. If i ignore the dispute request what happens to my pending balance.
3. If i accept his dispute request what happens to my pending balance.
4. If i reject the dispute what happens to my pending balance.

Never mind your pending balance. - Is it that $ 6500 project? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

 

If you ignore a dispute, your Upwork account will be suspended.

No no i dont plan to ignore. I cant do such to a client. I have been trying to reasonably sort it out with him.
i am just asking what happens in each case since he is being difficult


Edung D wrote:
No no i dont plan to ignore.

You said that's what you are planning to do.

Or did you mean you're planning to ignore it just long enough to withdraw the money?

 

It seems an unusually high amount for a few days work compared to all your other jobs...

No i wont ignore. Please note I never said i was going to ignore it. I cant do such. I have been trying to reason with him reasonably but he is being difficult.
And it took a few number of days compared to my other jobs because he made me to start working on the job long before he even hired me. I trusted him and worked for up to 2 months+ and finally he released the funds and now he is doing all this. I am confused. I havent gotten this kind of bad experience before


Edung D wrote:
No i wont ignore. I never said i was going to ignore it.

ignore it.jpg

 

Is it "just" the $ 6500, or the $ 1500 too?

 

I said i was choosing to ignore the refund and not the dispute and yes its both jobs. Its the same client.

I have already worked 2months plus on this project before we came to upwork. He said he was having issues hiring on upwork because of credit card issues. So i commenced work on the job since i was available at the time. And after i finished the job he paid and i was happy. And out of the blues he is asking for a refund and i have been talking reasonably with him but he doesnt seem to be interested in talking reasonably


Edung D wrote:
and yes its both jobs. Its the same client.

That is starting to look more and more dodgy...

 

Sorry i dont get it. Whats looking dodgy. Me or client.

I was working on both projects simultaneously. We met on facebook and then he told me about both jobs and i told him to hire me on upwork so that i will be safe. He then told me about his credit card issues and i considered and trusted him


Edung D wrote:
Sorry i dont get it. Whats looking dodgy. Me or client.

The whole transaction...

 

Who does $ 8k / 2 months (?) worth of work for a stranger on the Internet he met on Facebook of all places who has already admitted to having CC troubles


Edung D wrote:

And it took a few number of days compared to my other jobs because he made me to start working on the job long before he even hired me.

He "made" you start working on the job? How? If a client told me that he wasn't able to pay me, there's no way that I'd even start working, let alone work for months without payment. You've been around Upwork long enough to know that. It all sounds a bit fishy to me.

 

Also, you told him to hire you on Upwork so that you would be "safe", but then you didn't bother getting him to fund the escrow account, so what was safe about that? 

I was fooled by his promises and i did the job. I have everything to show that i have done all he said. I have a team and we have been working on it.
He has been a friend on facebook and he is not a stranger. I started the work based on trust with my team and he paid as agreed.

My team can handled both jobs and please dont look at just the price also check both job descriptions you will see that they are actually jobs that with a team can be completed in 2months and 3weeks.


Edung D wrote:
My team can handled both jobs and please dont look at just the price also check both job descriptions you will see that they are actually jobs that with a team can be completed in 2months and 3weeks.

So, to sum up: A guy you know via Facebook says he wants to hire you for an expensive job that will take months. You say, hire me via Upwork so that my payment will be safe. He says, okay, we can work through Upwork but I have credit card problems so I can't put ANY money into escrow, so your money ISN'T safe. You say no problem (!), then you get a whole TEAM of people to work on a job that isn't funded, for somebody who can't pay you. Then you finish the job, the client pays you, but then he immediately asks for a refund even though he presumably was happy with the job or he wouldn't have paid you in the first place. Is that the whole story?


Christine A wrote:

Is that the whole story?

you couldn't make it up, could you...

 

 


Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Is that the whole story?

you couldn't make it up, could you...

 


The one thing that's missing is character motivation; without it, the plot just isn't working for me.

 

No its not sorry for the delay. You missed one part.
1. Why we worked for him - he was a friend and it did it based on trust. Which i will never do again

2. Why he wants the refund - because he added things and it was way out of our agreement. After he paid he added them and i refused to do them

I dont like the fact that everyone is being so biased. I was only trying to share with the community.


Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Is that the whole story?

you couldn't make it up, could you...

 


The one thing that's missing is character motivation; without it, the plot just isn't working for me.

 


Christine, I wish there were really such a thing as winning the Internet for the day.

Please also not that no client will release thousands of dollars to someone they just hired about 4 days ago.
He paid because i completed the job. Just after payment was when he started asking for so many modifications and my refusal was what led to his rant


Christine A wrote:

Edung D wrote:
My team can handled both jobs and please dont look at just the price also check both job descriptions you will see that they are actually jobs that with a team can be completed in 2months and 3weeks.

So, to sum up: A guy you know via Facebook says he wants to hire you for an expensive job that will take months. You say, hire me via Upwork so that my payment will be safe. He says, okay, we can work through Upwork but I have credit card problems so I can't put ANY money into escrow, so your money ISN'T safe. You say no problem (!), then you get a whole TEAM of people to work on a job that isn't funded, for somebody who can't pay you. Then you finish the job, the client pays you, but then he immediately asks for a refund even though he presumably was happy with the job or he wouldn't have paid you in the first place. Is that the whole story?


The drama is so delicious I want more of it.

 

That payment about to go POOOF

 

Hopefully a mod with a name that begins with V sees this and has someone look into this payment. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Edung,

 

Just be sure you don't ignore any communications from Upwork. Follow any instructions you receive quickly and to the letter.

it don't matter

 

this guy is planning to unload the balance before the chargeback happens

 

eta: when people rage about a 5 day security hold? THIS...THIS is why we have one.

The client is asking for a refund because after payment he added things aside our agreement and i refused and now he is using that to his advantage. I am ready with every evidence when upwork comes for the dispute. How come everyone sounds so biased. I feel bad for asking my question to the community.

If he is asking for things outside the agreemant and that is the reason he is asking for a refund then i cant see that it will be given. Just comply totally with Upworks requests and make sure all comunication is through the upwork system so they have a record of it. 

 

I think the reason you are getting some replys you dont like as it all sounds very odd,

 

You are saying that its a 'friend' and you did thousands of $ worth of work without a milestone on 'trust' yet you also say you wanted to do it on upwork for protection despite still doing the work 'on trust'

 

added to that - if the client is a 'friend' that you are happy to do $$$$'s worth of work for then why bring them onto the platform? surely youd have saved yourself HUGE fees by keeping the trust between you?

I requested that we bring it to upwork the moment he started acting shady.
I wanted to be protected.

I am not trying to say my getting a client outside upwork was right. I know it was wrong and i shouldnt have started working on it.
Thank you very much for your advice i will do as you have said.

No, you misunderstand - i am NOT saying getting a client outside of Upwork is wrong at all, why would it be???? (assuming we are talking about new clients you have met outside of upwork that have no affiliation with upwork)

 

What i am saying is....

 

You keep saying the client is a friend of yours? 

 

So if its a friend of yours it seems odd that you would bring your friend onto a platform that will take a percentage of your earnings when you could have just done it between yourselfs seeing as your friends?

 

Yes, i know - You wanted to do it on Upwork for your protection (protection from your friend?) 

BUT, you went ahead and did the work on 'trust' so it makes no sense.

 

There was noway for him to pay outdise upwork. Paypal doesnt work in my country. This was one reason

The second is because close to the completion of the job, he started acting shady


Edung D wrote:
The client is asking for a refund because after payment he added things aside our agreement and i refused and now he is using that to his advantage. I am ready with every evidence when upwork comes for the dispute. How come everyone sounds so biased. I feel bad for asking my question to the community.

You shouldn't feel bad for asking here, because you're getting a good preview of what Upwork is going to think/say/do when they take a look at this dispute.

 

 

Thank you very much. I am doing just that
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members