🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What happens to user generated content after ...
Page options
3ba895ec
Community Member

What happens to user generated content after account deletion?

Hi,
I was wondering what would happen to comments, contributions, projects, review, etc. of a user after they deleted their account. 

What about content that can't be deleted (for instance a community thread)? will the user's name still be visible after deletion or will it say "deleted user" or something to that effect?

I'm asking because I don't want to see any reference of any think that I've produced, written and so on, in search engine result after I delete my account (if I ever do). 

Sincerely

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What happens to user generated content after account deletion?"

Nothing happens.

If you comment in the Forum, then those comments remain forever.

Note that you CURRENTLY have the ability to EDIT your posts here in the Forum.

If you CLOSE your Upwork account, I do not know if you will retain the ability to edit your Forum posts.

Maybe your profile photo won't show up properly. That's about all that would happen if you close your account.

re: "I was wondering what would happen to comments, contributions, projects, review, etc. of a user after they deleted their account."

They remain in place in the Forum.

re: "What about content that can't be deleted (for instance a community thread)? will the user's name still be visible after deletion or will it say "deleted user" or something to that effect?"

Well... only the user's first name and first letter in their last name appear.

re: "I'm asking because I don't want to see any reference of any thing that I've produced, written and so on, in search engine result after I delete my account (if I ever do)."

If you post a comment in the Community Forum, that comment will be incorporated into search engines. Other people will be able to read your comments. If you stop using Upwork or if you close your account, that won't change.

The post you wrote at the top of this thread is currently the ONLY THING you have written in the Community Forum.

If you don't want your posts to appear in search engines or in the Forum after you (possibly) leave Upwork, then all you need to is NOT POST in the Forum. You can even delete what you wrote in the thread above. You can edit your post and remove the content.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What happens to user generated content after account deletion?"

Nothing happens.

If you comment in the Forum, then those comments remain forever.

Note that you CURRENTLY have the ability to EDIT your posts here in the Forum.

If you CLOSE your Upwork account, I do not know if you will retain the ability to edit your Forum posts.

Maybe your profile photo won't show up properly. That's about all that would happen if you close your account.

re: "I was wondering what would happen to comments, contributions, projects, review, etc. of a user after they deleted their account."

They remain in place in the Forum.

re: "What about content that can't be deleted (for instance a community thread)? will the user's name still be visible after deletion or will it say "deleted user" or something to that effect?"

Well... only the user's first name and first letter in their last name appear.

re: "I'm asking because I don't want to see any reference of any thing that I've produced, written and so on, in search engine result after I delete my account (if I ever do)."

If you post a comment in the Community Forum, that comment will be incorporated into search engines. Other people will be able to read your comments. If you stop using Upwork or if you close your account, that won't change.

The post you wrote at the top of this thread is currently the ONLY THING you have written in the Community Forum.

If you don't want your posts to appear in search engines or in the Forum after you (possibly) leave Upwork, then all you need to is NOT POST in the Forum. You can even delete what you wrote in the thread above. You can edit your post and remove the content.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths