🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What i supposed to do in case of client d...
Page options
ghanshyamlakhani
Community Member

What i supposed to do in case of client did not more responsive/interested after some discussion?

I have listen, upwork read or watched the message/conversation between client vs freelancer.

So, my question is that if some of client made some conversation for the project and they leaved their skype-id or other email address for the purpose of more discussion about project requirements, now this client is not more interseted or not looking for countinue then does upwork think the job is done by out side of upwork ?

If so, let me know what i'm supposed to do for this proposals, becuase this proposal is not more usefull between me and client.
Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
mrarpitjain
Community Member

Hey,

It's completely fine to talk outside of upwork.

But, before you work for the client you have to get your proposal accepted and then if :

1) It's an hourly contract then use the upwork time tracker app so that you're covered by upwork hourly protection.

2) it's a fixed-price contract then I'd suggest you to either get the milestone funded or submit your work through upwork so you can stay protected.

Remember, Upwork is here for the protection of both the parties i.e Clients and Freelancer. 

Cheers,

Arpit Jain 🙂

prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are not required to respond to freelancers.

It sounds to me like you talked to a prospective client who ultimately did not hire you.

Then you should do what I do: nothing.

Don't contact the client. Do not work for the client. If the client contacts you, then tell him he may hire you now in order to continue your discussion.

tlsanders
Community Member

OP asks a fair question that neither of the responses address.

That is: when you talk with a client through messaging and the client moves that conversation off of Upwork and then moves on and doesn't hire anyone, will Upwork in some way flag that and suspect the freelancer of having gone off the platform with the client?

It's a reasonable concern, and I don't know the answer. I suspect that it wouldn't raise a red flag unless it becomes a pattern, but that's just what seems reasonable to me. It seems to happen pretty often.

Tiffany S wrote:

That is: when you talk with a client through messaging and the client moves that conversation off of Upwork and then moves on and doesn't hire anyone, will Upwork in some way flag that and suspect the freelancer of having gone off the platform with the client?

It's a reasonable concern, and I don't know the answer. I suspect that it wouldn't raise a red flag unless it becomes a pattern, but that's just what seems reasonable to me. It seems to happen pretty often.

I find it very weird that Upwork allows freelancers and clients to contact each other off the platform before there's a contract in place; this was strictly against the rules on Elance. I have no doubt that a sizeable percentage of projects in which clients "never hire anyone" are being taken off the platform in order to circumvent the 20% fee.

tlbp
Community Member

Tiffany S wrote:

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. I think I'll make it my policy to tell clients that I am happy to communicate via other channels but only after we have a contract. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ghanshyam, 

I won't be able to confirm how the team identifies circumvention. But the team will take action on any account that raises a red flag. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members