🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What if Client is not responding and not crea...
Page options
troyesit
Community Member

What if Client is not responding and not creating milestone after work done?

Hi Everyone,

I need your help. I was hired for a project with the cost of 250 USD and Employer only deposited 50 USD and said I am a man of my word you will be paid once work I see from your side. I did the work and asked to give feedback on work and said not to release any money until 100% work done only deposit the balance milestone.

He again ignored my message and added another task for me which was out of the scope of work and said do it and I will release the fund.

I did and again the same problem.

Now I am afraid if I tell him for money he may leave a negative review. But if I don't say so he is neither willing to deposit 200 nor releasing 50USD.

He is happy with my work but every time creates new tasks. Now for the last 2 days, he is not answering me properly.

I am worried about my money and work both. Can you experts help me what to do?

Best Regards,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Sounds like you have done more work than you should have done. Dont complete work beyond the scope of any funded milestone (i have done it once or twice but only for people i had prior work history with - and low value)

If client says they are "man of thier word" then i would personally reply with "no problem, so am I, i will get $50 value of work completed asap for you and as soon as i get conformation of the remaining $200 i will get the project completed without delay"

Something like that anyway. 

Unfortunatly this is obviously no help now in hindsight. I think your only option moving forward is to remain civil with the client, do EVERYTHING by the book, get your $50 payment and hope that the client comes good - if not i think you just need to use it as a lesson and not repeat.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tlbp
Community Member

If you submitted the request for the milestone to be released, do no more work until it is released. 

troyesit
Community Member

Hi Tonya,

Thanks for your reply. I am worried if I submit the work for release and he does not pay 200 balance then?

Because He will have a chance to quit without paying 200 balance. 

Regards, 

Ram S wrote:

Hi Tonya,

Thanks for your reply. I am worried if I submit the work for release and he does not pay 200 balance then?

Because He will have a chance to quit without paying 200 balance. 

Regards, 

He won't pay the balance. He never intended to. The way the escrow/milestone system work is: one milestone = one deliverable.

You do the work that is worth the amount deposited into the escrow and you submit the milestone. Period. If the client wants more work done, they create another milestone and fund the escrow with the amount that corresponds to the deliverable.

Your client funded $50, this is the money you'll get. They knew since the beginning that they are gonna to abuse of your kindness, so they did.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
digitaloverseas
Community Member

I understood the problem, I have been into a similar situation. Where client funds like only 10-20% of the total project budget and promise to fund the whole amount at the end. and once the project is completed they stop replying. First of all, understand that does not work more than what they fund the amount, ignore the project budget. but only care for what they fund. Now, you have to take the risk for a negative review. and ask them politely. or complete the work in such a way that the client still needs you.

You should never take a new client at their word. Trust is earnt and leeway should really be reserved for long-term trusted clients who prove themselves.

The deposit should cover a small amount of work which should be released when work is completed to satisfaction. Don't be afraid to put your foot down and refuse to do any more until the next milestone funded. If they leave a bad review, then respond and explain why. We could argue that you have a duty to warn other freelancers of their bad behaviour or they'll keep trying to do it.

You can dispute bad reviews and report the "client" to Upwork. Clients like that rely on scaring people into not reporting with the threat of a bad review. Protect your business and don't put yourself at the mercy of unscrupulous people over the threat of a single bad review.

hoyle_editing
Community Member

Sounds like you have done more work than you should have done. Dont complete work beyond the scope of any funded milestone (i have done it once or twice but only for people i had prior work history with - and low value)

If client says they are "man of thier word" then i would personally reply with "no problem, so am I, i will get $50 value of work completed asap for you and as soon as i get conformation of the remaining $200 i will get the project completed without delay"

Something like that anyway. 

Unfortunatly this is obviously no help now in hindsight. I think your only option moving forward is to remain civil with the client, do EVERYTHING by the book, get your $50 payment and hope that the client comes good - if not i think you just need to use it as a lesson and not repeat.

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks a lot to you and all members who gave me the courage to take action again my client. I became a bit strong and send him a message that I am going to contact Upwork Team. And I submitted my work for payment for 50 USD and requested to add balance fund.

He became very furious but released 50 bucks and said again new tasks. I was very calm and said politely to deposit fund if you want any other work else I will not do any work.

He was making me fool that he has no trust in me. So I said I have completed work without money still you have no trust. However, you should be aware that milestone deposit in Escrow does not mean you give to me its simple deposit for security. If you feel any issue so you can ask for a refund. 

Eventually after frustrating some time he created balance milestone. So once again thanks to all for helping me and giving their suggestion.

Best Regards,

Great, glad it worked out for you. Hopefully the client can see it is for everyone's best interest to fund the milestones properly.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members